Sweet VHF deal

Apr 8, 2010
Frers 33 41426 Westport, CT
(Sorry Phil! Too good to not spread the word) Defender has a really sweet deal on B&G V50 Fixed Mount VHF & H50 Wireless VHF Handset Bundle with AIS for only $299 (Reg. Price: $509.98), as of posting this only 35 left before the deal runs out.

http://www.defender.com/activecaptain.jsp

Apr 8, 2015
Macgregor Venture 22 Charlotte NC
With Radio gear like this. should a new guy who is not sure when he will leave the lakes for the high seas jump on a deal or should he wait until he needs it?

Currently how fast is the Marine equipment industry growing? Will there be a better deal next week, next month?

i do not sail any where that I cant see the shore so I definitely don't need anything yet.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
With Radio gear like this. should a new guy who is not sure when he will leave the lakes for the high seas jump on a deal or should he wait until he needs it?

Currently how fast is the Marine equipment industry growing? Will there be a better deal next week, next month?

i do not sail any where that I cant see the shore so I definitely don't need anything yet.
believe me there will be better deals when that time comes...for now i would say get a handheld that is more than you need since you can see land now

Apr 8, 2010
believe me there will be better deals when that time comes...for now i would say get a handheld that is more than you need since you can see land now
Woodster is probably right on that, 3 years ago this type of equipment was well over $1k, now it's on sale for $300. I carry a good handheld radio (ICOM IC-M36) and keep it in the cockpit, but the small antenna often fails to pick up transmissions that the shipboard radio easily catches (even some coastguard broadcasts)

Since I often find myself out sailing at night in Long Island Sound and occasionally in Block Island Sound where there is a steady but moderate flow of commercial shipping traffic the AIS receiver is something that I've always wanted, as is having cockpit access to the ships VHF and it's superior transmit / receive range compared to the handheld, but primarily my reason for upgrading is the AIS (also, when I replaced my old standard horizon only a year and a half ago, there were no AIS capable units I could find that would fit in the space I currently have my VHF, this one does fit).

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Alameda CA
Woodster is probably right on that, 3 years ago this type of equipment was well over $1k, now it's on sale for $300. I carry a good handheld radio (ICOM IC-M36) and keep it in the cockpit, but the small antenna often fails to pick up transmissions that the shipboard radio easily catches (even some coastguard broadcasts)

Since I often find myself out sailing at night in Long Island Sound and occasionally in Block Island Sound where there is a steady but moderate flow of commercial shipping traffic the AIS receiver is something that I've always wanted, as is having cockpit access to the ships VHF and it's superior transmit / receive range compared to the handheld, but primarily my reason for upgrading is the AIS (also, when I replaced my old standard horizon only a year and a half ago, there were no AIS capable units I could find that would fit in the space I currently have my VHF, this one does fit).
I had been pricing separate AIS receivers for some time. I was trying to avoid replacing my Uniden Polaris radio and the wireless remote WHAM mic that I had sunk plenty of $$ to buy. The AIS receiver costs as much as this deal and I don't have to buy and rig a separate antenna and then output to a laptop that I would have to run up and down to see. And I get the wireless mic included. It looks like I can output the AIS signal to the laptop (Open CPN) if I want and there is a DSC output that can feed to my chartplotter at the helm. The Uniden only accepted NEMA from my GPS, but didn't output (important to see a distress signal position). All in all it gives me the AIS I expected to buy for that price and everything else for free.

Only 9 left.

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
Grab them! I've had the pair since it was introduced and it's a great radio, AIS receiver, and the handheld remote works great!

Apr 8, 2010
I bet the next model has integrated GPS.
Good chance (I've wondered for a while why they don't have GPS chips by default on most units, I have only seen one or two really basic models that do), and will probably cost $600-650 for the bundle... if you're on the market, this is a great deal, if you're not, wait a year or three and you may get something with a better feature set (perhaps AIS transponder not just receive?)

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
SH has a radio with a GPS. They also have a radio with AIS. No one yet has one with ALL THREE, which some of us have been suggesting for eons.

Eventually they all will. That'll be the day... :)

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
SH has a radio with a GPS. They also have a radio with AIS. No one yet has one with ALL THREE, which some of us have been suggesting for eons.

Eventually they all will. That'll be the day... :)
there gx2200 has both ais is receive only

Feb 26, 2004
One should never put all their eggs in one basket.
That may be true, but since one has to cobble together a radio, a GPS, a chartplotter and an AIS, the weak link these days is the wiring and the connections.

By the time all this stuff is finally put all together by the vendors, the price will be low enough to buy two! :) So many folks report having two or more GPS units on their boats even now, and even before they include their Smart Phones and tablets.

Just like radio and GPS prices eventually plummeted.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
I agree Stu, but it is easier to change out one cable than to have to replace an entire radio with all the bells and whistles. Not to mention it is cheaper also.

On top of that, a radio that has been deep discounted by $210.98. That alone sends up red flags. Sorry to be so skeptical, but would you buy a boat that discounted more that 170%? I hope it is not a lemon for the sake of those who purchased it.

Feb 26, 2004
Great validity in your point, Brian.

The counter to that? My SH 1986 radio still works. Many electrical connections are the bane of every boater.

Discount? Perhaps it was a limited quantity Active Captain discount. In that case, it's a great buy.