Swapping Fram fuel filter for Racor

Nov 14, 2016
Hunter 30 (1978) Milwaukee, WI
I'm in the process of changing the primary fuel filter for the first time on my 1978 H30. The existing filter is not the easiest to work with and it sounds like, from reading some of the other posts on this forum, replacing it with a Racor would be a worthwhile upgrade. A couple questions I had are: is there a particular model of Racor filter that works well with a 1 cylinder Yanmar (YSB12)? The existing filter seems to be 10 Micron so I may want to stick with that but I was curious if there were some differences in terms of rate of flow or anything else? Secondly, I was trying to disconnect the fuel hose that connects the fuel tank to the primary fuel filter. It is connected by some kind of screw-in fitting and when I try to turn it, the whole hose rotates with it. Is the section I have indicated in the red box supposed to rotate independently from the rest of the hose (view is from above)? Thanks.

Attachments

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
The Racor rate of flow should be adequate. Best to check needed rate of flow of your engine and of filter. As for the fuel hose disconnect problem, this may be a dumb question, but are you using 2 wrenches ? Looks to me like the nut shown with the red arrow needs to be unscrewed while the part with the blue arrow is held tight. Or it could be the red unscrewed while the yellow is held. Worth a try. If no success you could cut the line and then unscrewed. You probably will wind up having to do that in order to get the proper fittings for the Racor. good luck

Attachments

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
A Racor 110 will give you all the flow you need and is available in 10 micron. 78555FCD-9497-431E-B2D6-E638BB9611C8.jpeg

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
When I asked Racor this question for my M25 (.5 gal/hr) they said the Snap system. I went with a 120A and a R12-30micron filter. If your filter is in the engine bay the 110 suggested above is a better solution.

Les

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
The 110 was OEM for my 3-cylinder, 20 hp engine, so it should suffice on yours. I have my old one if you want it.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
I have the Racor 500FG on my 2GM 13 hp. It is really easy to service since the filter is top loading, and does not require any tools to remove. Comes in many filter Micron ratings. The spare that the PO left on my boat was 2 microns, but I have been using 10 micron for the racor.
Racor 500FG.jpg

Nov 14, 2016
The Racor rate of flow should be adequate. Best to check needed rate of flow of your engine and of filter. As for the fuel hose disconnect problem, this may be a dumb question, but are you using 2 wrenches ? Looks to me like the nut shown with the red arrow needs to be unscrewed while the part with the blue arrow is held tight. Or it could be the red unscrewed while the yellow is held. Worth a try. If no success you could cut the line and then unscrewed. You probably will wind up having to do that in order to get the proper fittings for the Racor. good luck
Tried using 2 wrenches but since I wasn't really sure on A. the parts that were supposed to rotate and B. the correct wrench sizes, I didn't try too aggressively. I can try being a little more persuasive the next time.

Appreciate the input from everyone. I'll look into the 110 and I'll try to remember to come back and share the outcome.

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
Rick is right about the wrenches. They do work best. Although since you are changing filter brand there is no guarantee that the fittings on the Fram will fit the new Racor. And if you have to cut the fuel hose, it is not a very expensive replacement ! You might even have long enough if you did cut as close to the fitting as possible and installed the new filter at the same location.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Chip; That is not a Racor, it is a Chinese knock-off. Any idea if the thing is even worth $70? I always wonder how EBay gets away with selling stuff that was ripped from the original patent holder.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Chip; That is not a Racor, it is a Chinese knock-off. Any idea if the thing is even worth $70? I always wonder how EBay gets away with selling stuff that was ripped from the original patent holder.
Agreed, but if the clone cost 80% less, uses the same filter elements and seals, and does the job, I don't see any issues with using one.

Here is another example for only $29.87. I could see spending $30 on one if my original Racor somehow broke.

500FG 500FH Diesel Marine Boat Heavy Duty Filter Fuel Water Separator
Her is a pic of the Racor
Racor 500FG.jpg
This is the Clone
Racor 500 FG Clone.jpg

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
don't replace a primary 10 micron fuel filter with a 2 micron. 2 is for the secondary on yan mars. pull up the specs for your yan mar filters at boatdiesel.com ----or call a yan gold dealer. like niemec marine new england.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
don't replace a primary 10 micron fuel filter with a 2 micron. 2 is for the secondary on yan mars. pull up the specs for your yan mar filters at boatdiesel.com ----or call a yan gold dealer. like niemec marine new england.
Yeah,

When I saw that the spare onboard was a 2 micron, I went out and bought a new 10 micron. I am not going to get rid of the 2 micron one, but it will probably stay in the spare parts box forever. LOL

Nov 14, 2016
@pateco you have a great point about being able to easily inspect the filter. Where mine is located, you are looking down at the top of it when you open the port aft berth access so it would be a little tricky anyway. Maybe you could peer under the engine from the companionway access to see it though. Is there a difference in terms of how easy it is to introduce air into the fuel lines, because that is definitely something I would like to avoid.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
@pateco you have a great point about being able to easily inspect the filter. Where mine is located, you are looking down at the top of it when you open the port aft berth access so it would be a little tricky anyway. Maybe you could peer under the engine from the companionway access to see it though. Is there a difference in terms of how easy it is to introduce air into the fuel lines, because that is definitely something I would like to avoid.
Below is a video showing how to change the filter. What I like is that since you change it from the top, you do not need to completely drain the housing. I have been able to leave the fuel level in the filter canister above the fuel line inlet and outlet level by draining out any moisture or debris from the bottom of the filter and letting it refill prior to opening the top of the canister. This can be assisted by having a fuel primer bulb inline between the fuel tank and the filter.
Primer-Bulb.jpg
This assists pushing out the fouled fuel at the bottom of the filter canister without introducing air. (This also makes it easy to remove any water or debris from the filter canister between filter changes).You then open the top of the canister, pull out the old filter with the attached handle, pop in the new filter, and fill the canister back to the top rim with a small squeeze bottle of diesel (a fully dried water bottle works great). MAKE SURE YOU DO THIS or you are only using the portion of the filter exposed to fuel. (I actually use the same fuel primer bulb to refill the canister directly from the tank prior to putting the lid back on.) Reseal the canister with the new gasket & o-ring (they come with the filters), and start it up.

In my case however, the smaller filter on the inlet to my Yanmar cannot be changed without air getting into the lines. so I still need to re-prime my engine any time I change that one.:(
Yanmar_Fuel_Filter.JPG

Last edited: