Swamped Outboard...

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
I experienced a swamped outboard for the first time last weekend. Considering we are lake sailing, I would think this is a rare occurrence, except for maybe the great lakes. Anyway, it got me thinking about why this occurred.
My outboard is on a pod that I lower into the water. The pod sits level with the water, and the motor extends beneath, into the water. I can lift the pod in order to reduce drag while sailing.
We were sailing in 20 knot winds from the North. Because the lake is oriented North to South, and we are at the South end, a strong North wind has a lot of fetch, and creates large, rolling waves with short frequency.
In this situation, we turned North, into the wind, to lower the sails. While powering Northward at low speed, just holding position, the engine suddenly died, swamped, while the boat rose and fell on the waves. I restarted it, but it got swamped again in a short time. I lifted the pod to lift the motor out of the water, and that solved the problem.
It had my heart pounding pretty well. I stayed calm. I knew I could sail into my slip if I needed.
My question: why did the motor stop? I get that the lower cowling was swamped with water, but doesn’t the upper cowling draw air too? Was the carb choked? If the carb was choked by water, why did the water not cause a hydrolock? Or maybe a hydrolock does not always fill the cylinder? Was there another cause for the motor to stop?
Someone else has experienced this, and many/most of you have more outboard knowledge than me, so what do you think? I figured out how to stop it, but I am still curious. I guess I have the privilege of being able to easily adjust the depth of my outboard. Still, this could really put a person in dire straights.

Thanks!

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
I doubt it drank water. If it did the oil will be milky or brown (change it if you even wonder).

Far more likely you got just enough water to short the ignition, which is high voltage. Fortunately, it was lake water, so hopefully there will be no corrosion issues.

Aug 3, 2012
I doubt it drank water. If it did the oil will be milky or brown (change it if you even wonder).

Far more likely you got just enough water to short the ignition, which is high voltage. Fortunately, it was lake water, so hopefully there will be no corrosion issues.
Ah! I did not even consider that the spark had been shorted. That makes good sense. I will check both the oil and the spark plug boot. Do you think there may still be water in the spark plug boot?
My Dad always said, “it is only spark, air, or fuel.” I went with air...

Thanks! I knew someone would have an idea.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I knew an electrician that took a rubber glove, cut the fingers off, put it over the distributor cap of his 4 cyl jeep, filled it with dielectric grease and then zip tied the fingers around the spark plug wires (one wire per finger). He said it worked great and never stalled in the mud again.

I wonder if there's a snorkel for cowling intakes available...

Aug 3, 2012
I knew an electrician that took a rubber glove, cut the fingers off, put it over the distributor cap of his 4 cyl jeep, filled it with dielectric grease and then zip tied the fingers around the spark plug wires (one wire per finger). He said it worked great and never stalled in the mud again.

I wonder if there's a snorkel for cowling intakes available...
I wondered that too! I think the point is a good one, waterproofing for prevention, even a little, could make a difference. As I said, it is a rare thing due to the layout of the lake.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
@agprice22 I think you really need to mount a Jeep Off Road Snorkel on your motor, it will really make a statement to everyone who comes out to sail with you that you don't mess around!

Aug 3, 2012
In heavy seas there is usually heavy winds sailboats are faster under sail than under power. Oddly power boats are faster under power than under sail
It makes me wonder if I should have not turned upwind and into the seas while motoring in order to douse the main. I think the motor would not have swamped if I had taken the seas on the beam or bow quarter. I do not see why I could not have released the main from a close reach or close hauled. Either point of sail would have reduced the seas in relation to the stern and outboard.
Thanks for pointing toward a solution.