SV Panope. 100 anchor videos

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
One of the best anchor testing video bloggers has crossed the threshold and posted 100 videos.

I love this PacificNW boater who takes his anchor “In the Water” testing seriously. Pictures of the anchors in the water, in action.

Here is #100. Give him a like.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Wow @jssailem that was a great video. Talk about an obsession. He really took a scientific approach to the study. I think we should all keep a copy of his data sheet handy when we go to buy our next anchor. Fortunately, I anchor in mud so my fortress style anchor seems to be the right one for my region.

1614010103722.png

Oct 22, 2014
Yes it is a reaffirming message to learn that the anchor you chose has certain good attributes.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
One of the best anchor testing video bloggers has crossed the threshold and posted 100 videos.
Nope ................. THE best anchor testing video I've seen to date. Period. Not too often you see someone this logical, technically savvy and organized talking about anchors. Superlative job.

After all you hear about about the most holy of anchors, the Rocna, I was amazed to see the 45 lb. Rocna at the bottom of the heap. The 22 lb. wasn't much better :stir:. Don't blame me ........ he said it.

Jan 19, 2010
There was a way to make a post sticky but I forgot how to do it. Next time a noob asks about anchors it would be nice to point here.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Our boat was recently moved to the Repair spot, but we do have 2 anchors available for multi-bottom types. Plus a 3rd light anchor, in a bag, for 3 point anchoring. :)

InRepairSpot.jpg

Jim...

CarlN

Jan 4, 2009
Ketch 55 Bristol, RI
And unlike most anchor tests, he didn't just test straight line pull. It was a truly nasty series of 180 degree reversals and veers in a wide variety of bottoms. Some of the scopes were only 3.5:1. A real torture test for an anchor. Just about any anchor will hold well in sand, an unchanging wind direction, and 7:1 scope.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Hmm. One wonders why he excluded the Danforth. Maybe it would have received top honors. Just say'n.

Oct 22, 2014
NOPE......
:stir:
So Ralph. I am anxious to learn of the better anchor demonstration site.

In my limited exploration of posted data about the practical applications of various anchors in varying sea bottom environments the site is the best I have seen.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
And unlike most anchor tests, he didn't just test straight line pull. It was a truly nasty series of 180 degree reversals and veers in a wide variety of bottoms. Some of the scopes were only 3.5:1. A real torture test for an anchor. Just about any anchor will hold well in sand, an unchanging wind direction, and 7:1 scope.
I have never used a 3.5:1 scope. Probably the lowest I have ever used is 5:1. Normally I use about 6:1. Anyone use 3.5:1 ?

Oct 22, 2014
I agree with you, especially in our waters, a 3.5 to one scope could become, before you know it, no scope at all. I’ve observed some fishing boats drop an anchor with little or no scope and wonder why there still moving.

I guess I miss read your text...:facepalm: my bad.... I see what you did there. "THE". subtle.

Jan 19, 2010
Hmm. One wonders why he excluded the Danforth. Maybe it would have received top honors. Just say'n.
@Terry Cox so funny you asked. YouTube just recommended a video for me and it is this guys review of Danford and Fortress head-to-head.

Jan 19, 2010
Interesting test outcome.
True... I was surprised by the 45 degree fluke angle test. Not intuitive at all.

I have two Danforth anchors. A small "lunch hook" and a larger one for overnights. There was one evening on the hook where I put out my lunch hook only... I was in a protected cove and the forcast was for relatively calm evening. A pop-up T-storm came in during the night at an agle that was head on and put me on a leeshore. I stayed up until the storm passed to make sure I didn't drag and it took me almost an hour to get that little danforth out of the mud the next morning. It dug in like a tick on a dog.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
I know exactly what you mean. The more pressure applied the deeper they dig. And when it comes time to hoist anchor, I have to work the windlass in cycles to get the Danforth unstuck.

Jan 19, 2010
On a few occasions I have pulled my anchor as tight as I dare and cleat off at the bow. Then I go sit in the cockpit for 20 min. This usually puts some sock on the rode and so to tighten some more and repeat. About three cycles usually gets the anchor up.