sv Bella crossing Lake Michigan

Oct 30, 2019
Thank you for the starter/engine advice last week. I decided that I had lots to make sure was right before crossing beside the engine. We left Milwaukee at 13:00 on last Tuesday. Weather was clear for most of the trip, though I think I saw snow sometime after midnight. It was COLD! On the west side of the Lake winds were light but steady 5-10 knots. On the east side, especially right at Muskegon winds were 10-20 and we had a light rain. Of course, the only wind forecast that was correct was the East Wind blowing right down the Muskegon River Channel that we wanted to get up. Tacking back and forth trying to figure out a way to make it, we hit 6 knots!! Bella felt safe and comfortable even while tacking back and forth across the river opening in a stiff breeze. Without an engine we did, however, require a tow upriver to the marina. It was a great sail anyway! What a trip. 74 miles of open water. Thanks to my crew, Dave and to Nancy, Mom and Dad as shore support.PS: I posted a couple pictures.

Aug 29, 2011
Great stuff, Todd. Well done. We have had engine failure or loss of electrical power to start it, a couple of times here in the Mediterranean and now we practise sailing without our engine whenever we can, even into and out of Marina berths. There is a chapter in Lynn and Larry Pardey's book The Capable Cruiser called 'The Unstoppable Boat'. It is all about being able to avoid a crisis if you cannot start the engine, or it stops, or something fouls the prop. Sounds like you are well on the way. Just have to figure out how to sail up river upwind! They used to do it once. Or anchor and wait for a favourable breeze. Congratulations on your first passage in Bella. Wish you years of joy in her. We will be in Milwaukee and in Chicago this summer, sometime in middle two weeks of July. Any chance of meeting up for a beer? Tom Fenton, s/y Beowulf, V2977, currently in Santa Theresa Navarrese, Sardinia

Feb 22, 2006
Regarding the Vega on Lake Michigan Todd and Tom,I sail my Vega hull#711 out of Kenosha,Wisconsin.I was unaware of any other Vegas in the area.Been sailing Tonic 16 years now and have never seen another Vega. I,m about 30 miles south of Milwaukee and would love to have a beer with you guys sometime! Patrick. pcdbsc65@... On Monday, June 9, 2014 4:32 AM, "Tom Fenton tjhfenton@... [AlbinVega]" AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com wrote:

Great stuff, Todd. Well done. We have had engine failure or loss of electrical power to start it, a couple of times here in the Mediterranean and now we practise sailing without our engine whenever we can, even into and out of Marina berths. There is a chapter in Lynn and Larry Pardey's book The Capable Cruiser called 'The Unstoppable Boat'. It is all about being able to avoid a crisis if you cannot start the engine, or it stops, or something fouls the prop. Sounds like you are well on the way. Just have to figure out how to sail up river upwind! They used to do it once. Or anchor and wait for a favourable breeze. Congratulations on your first passage in Bella. Wish you years of joy in her. We will be in Milwaukee and in Chicago this summer, sometime in middle two weeks of July. Any chance of meeting up for a beer? Tom Fenton, s/y Beowulf, V2977, currently in Santa Theresa Navarrese, SardiniaOn 7 Jun 2014, at 21:33, "toddrtownsend@... [AlbinVega]" AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com wrote:

Oct 30, 2019
Thanks, guys! I'm on the Michigan side of the lake now, but I am always up for a beer. Tom - I'll keep an eye on my schedule in Mid July. Patrick - do you have any need for a custom made Vega cradle? I would only use it next winter before heading south and am working out whether I want to go back for it or sell it or scrap it?
-- ~~~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~~Todd R. Townsendtoddrtownsend.blogspot.com~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Eat when you're hungry,Work when you're broke. - Bubba the Pirate~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~