Suspicious connection blocked

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Would you know why my Bitdefender alerts me to a suspicious connection every time I come to this site? It says SBO is using untrusted certificates. I still can get access, but some unseen connection is being denied. An advertiser maybe?

Suspicious connection blocked
14 minutes ago
Feature:Online Threat Prevention
chrome.exe attempted to establish a connection relying on an untrusted certificate to x2.sailboatowners.com. We blocked the connection to keep your data safe since untrusted certificates are issued by unrecognized Certificate Authorities.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Hi Justin, I think you're using an old bookmark. We haven't used x2.sbo in a while and I doubt the certificate is up to date. Try hitting the home page, using navigation to get to the forums, then make a new bookmark. You should be all set.

for anyone using a bookmark, the forums are now at
Code:
forums.sailboatowners.com
Anything else should be replaced. Thanks!

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Hmmm. I closed out my browser and pasted in the code you gave. I still get suspicious activity at x2.sailboatowners.com.
Maybe it's cached. I'll clear it and try again.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Nope. BD is still detecting x2......
Maybe I need to shut down and try later

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 260 winnipeg, Manitoba
If I enter x2.sailboatowners.com I get a site not found. Perhaps you have something doing a redirect in your chrome browser? What happens if you use explorer or Firefox?

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Also try clearing your cache, memory, and temporary files. Probably your cache if it does not auto delete. And more so your temporary files.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
I'm also having the same problem with Bitdefender (I've had their Total Security suite for years) and a couple of the other sites. CCleaner Pro automatically cleans my cache, memory and temp files along with cookies on 3 browsers, so I don't think that manually doing that will cool BD's jets. They've also decided recently that the AT&T internet connection I"ve used for nearly a decade is unsafe. All of which is a bit of a PITA, but I'd rather be overprotected than under, so I live with it.

--Peggie

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
x2 is the subdomain we used for the new forums when they were in the development and testing stage, so it's possible there's a stray reference to it that didn't get changed. And that site is shut down now so Bitdefender could object to it. The problem so far is that we can't find the reference. Hopefully, it's something stuck in temp files but yeah, that's every admin's wish. :biggrin:

So to reassure everyone, there's no foul play afoot and we'll get it cleaned up. Thanks for your patience.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I recently converted to the Newest Apple iOS and it found a foul file trying to get access from an embedded file.

That file was put into a ATT folder in 2015 and has been slowing down my laptop for years.

You can never tell where these mal ware files are hidden.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
When I go to http://x2.sailboatowners.com I get redirected to https://1000boatnames.com. But when I go to https://x2.sailboatowners.com I get the certificate error. The exact error is that there is a certificate domain mismatch, because I entered x2.sailboatowners.com, but the cert is for 10000boatnames.com.

Feb 17, 2006
Agree with Davidasailor26. If I agree and continue it sends me to 10000boatnames. So the redirect is there but blocked by my browser because the certificate is not valid. It is an SSL_ error.

Websites prove their identity via certificates. Firefox does not trust this site because it uses a certificate that is not valid for x2.sailboatowners.com. The certificate is only valid for the following names: 10000boatnames.com, www.10000boatnames.com
Error code: SSL_ERROR_BAD_CERT_DOMAIN

Feb 17, 2006
@Justin_NSA, @Peggie Hall HeadMistress , have you tried this...

To add a website to the exceptions list:

1. Open the Bitdefender interface.

2. Access Protection on the left hand side menu.

3. In the ONLINE THREAT PREVENTION pane, click Manage Exceptions.

4. Click ADD AN EXCEPTION.

5. Type the address of the blocked website or application in the corresponding field.

6. Click ADD EXCEPTION to save the changes and close the window.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
called 'whitelisting'. I may try that if I can't figure why X2... keeps coming up. It's not harmful, just suspicious to BD.

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 260 winnipeg, Manitoba
Could it be a DNS server with an out of date address? Could try changing settings temporarily with a restart in between to see.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Could it be a DNS server with an out of date address? Could try changing settings temporarily with a restart in between to see.
Yes, it was pointed to a non-existent server and I updated that last night. I've got one more adjustment to make today and _hopefully_ it will be ready for prime time.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Okay,
Code:
x2.sailboatowners.com
now redirects to the forum home page, for both http and https requests. However, please note that I had to delete my browser's cached files before it would work.

That *should* calm down Bitdefender so let me know if this warning persists and if it does, any further details provided by Bitdefender about the problem. Thanks for your patience!

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I just fired up my laptop from home and Bitdefender did not alert me. I think you've solved it Phil ! Thank you!