Susie Goodall Adrift and alone but OK

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
No.
‘Out of 18 competitors, four were forced out of the race due to broken masts and nine others left for personal reasons -- "[many] weren't prepared properly," Pickthall said.’
...says the organizer of a single-hand round-the-world race that hobbled the participants with 1968 navigation equipment! A solo sailing event that is little more than half way through and has 5 remaining participants.

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
Could not even imagine that and she is just bouncing on the waves waiting for rescue
YUUUUCH!

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
‘Out of 18 competitors, four were forced out of the race due to broken masts and nine others left for personal reasons -- "[many] weren't prepared properly,"
Isn't that pretty much how it went back in the early years of the event?

I seriously doubt being unprepared was Susie Goodall's problem. It is hard to prepare for a disaster like hers. So glad she is ok.

-Will (Dragonfly)

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
sorta akin to going over the falls in a barrel. not for everyone, but exciting to watch :)

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
https://m.facebook.com/goldengloberace
Show time. Chinese commercial on scene. Goodall is experiencing TBI symptoms and will have to get herself up via a hoist while impaired. Her boat is sinking. Risky. There are no rescue pros on hand.

Jan 2, 2017
O'Day & Islander 322 & 37 Scottsdale, AZ & Owls Head, ME
Getting her on board the tanker will be very tricky. Let’s pray that it goes well.

Jan 2, 2017
O'Day & Islander 322 & 37 Scottsdale, AZ & Owls Head, ME
She has to somehow hook onto a cable suspended from the tanker's crane while both boats are in violent uncoordinated motion. God help her.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Hopefully they will re-think this and send a man down. They need a SAR resource to call the steps.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
She has to somehow hook onto a cable suspended from the tanker's crane while both boats are in violent uncoordinated motion. God help her.
I have an acquaintance who is a Great Lakes Pilot out of Port Huron, talking to him about boarding from the Pilot boat up to a freighter is frightening just hear the stories, he explains it as, one has to grab the rope ladder at just the right time, too soon and the pilot boat pitching up will have the ladder move down as you are stepping off, to late and you are hanging on for dear life. Just couldn't imagine doing this in heavy water.
Glad to hear that she made it!

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
WOW, That was powerful! Glad she is safe and healthy!