surveyor

David

Jun 17, 2004
Macgregor 26x Morecambe
With so much of the boat taken apart, I think this is probably a good time to have a surveyor have a look at the hull and point out anything I missed. I'm wondering if it is important that I find a surveyor with a lot of experience in older fiberglass hulls, or will any competent surveyor be fully adequate?

What are your experiences with surveyors and Challengers?

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
My experience is this may be their first Challenger.

In that case, you may know more than the surveyor about these boats. If this is their first Challenger, direct them to this website, this will save them alot of time, and you money.

Most of the problems with these boats are documented here. A new one, fuel tank/leakage in the centerboard trunk area is now documented. Soon, fuel tank replacement ideas etc. This is a good source.

I would suggest you direct any survey to areas you have concern. Contract him(her)for 2 or 3 steps finishing with a final survey or value for insurance.
Survey info added to the board will be invaluable.

I skipped a survey on my boat. I did my own. I wish this website was available at the time.

David

Jun 17, 2004
Macgregor 26x Morecambe
hull

Really, the only thing I'm interested in is a second opinion on the hull. As far as I know, it has a single, large blister above the water line (impact?) and an vertical area about two inches wide and two feet long of stress damage to the hull.

The stress damage was caused during haul-outs due to the cockpit and bulkheads between the cabin and cockpit not being there during the haul-out. Instead, the previous owner just had a 4x4 across the area, creating a hard spot. I plan to grind out and replace those areas, but it seems that the prudent thing to do is have someone that has seen a lot of fiberglass problems give me his take on the entirity of the hull.

I suspect that you are right though. He probably won't tell me anything that I don't already know.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
By all means, have them survey that area.

They should have good expertice knowing the hull age etc. It sounds like your project is moving well David, are things as you more or less expected? You've taken on alot and have my admiration. I'm rooting for you, it sounds like you have it under control. Tom

Jun 22, 2004
Hunter 35 St Augustine
Survey

David
I agree with both Tom and you about the survey, but I also think it is a good idea to have a second pair of eyes look at a boat. I know I become to familiar with a boat and tend to miss things.
I would also ask them to look at the chainplate area. I have had 3 people do it and I am still nervous. Iron doesn't do well at sea. I just put up a web site and have a few pictures. I added the link to this site. It is http://www.sailingblackpearl.com
I will be adding more pictures as time allows.
Bill