Survey

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Survey starts Friday, 8/25. It's on the hard, indoors. I hired the guy who's probably the best surveyor in the area, very fussy and detail oriented, and a former boat builder for Little Harbor in Portsmouth, RI (now owned by Hinckley). He knows how boats go together, about materials, laminates, systems, rigs, etc.

Tartan mailed me an owner's manual! A lot to be said for a boat from a company that's still in business. In this case, with so few built, there's a paucity of information on the web or anywhere else, on the T3800.

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
The employment of cultivated words is indicative of intellectual prowess, the existence of which is palpable given the vessel choice.
I am appetent beyond illustration over this example of watercraft, and while bestowing my veneration hereby submit my candidature for an excursion.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Out here we call that degree of excellence in sucking up the Hoover Effect. :clap:

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
When writing and clicking "post" sometimes the auto correct inserts itself and converts correctly typed words "an" into content vulnerable to corrective observation.

Thank you for helping UncleDom.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
paucity of information
Here is what I now wished my Survey guy had done.
1) Very close inspection of Standing Rigging Turnbuckles, Rudder shaft and Keel bolts for Stainless Steel Crevice Corrosion Cracks
2) All tank level sensors working.
3) Crappy temporary repairs and fixes, just to get by.
4) Water leaks evidence.
5) Metal analysis of all engine lubricating oils and transmission fluids. [sampled but no comment on results]
6) Propane system hose/piping for leaks. Tank dates?
7) Seal between Keel and fiberglass hull.
8) Shore power connections for power arching or nearby lightning strikes causing Voltage surges.
9) Diesel fuel/water separator cartridge.
10) Cutlass bearing [mine was changed but good thing he found it]
11) Engine propeller shaft alignment and Engine mount health.

Many more, but it is the Paucity of details that are the key.
Jim...

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
If you did not get that out of a Survey, what did you get? Those sound like standard sailboat survey details. Perhaps the oil - fluids info more aligns with a Marine Engine survey... but the rest sound like standard expectations of a 38 foot (not new) sail boat survey. Unless the surveyor does not do sail boats?

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Some things on the list would require pulling things apart. For example the shaft alignment can only be checked by pulling the prop shaft away from the trans output. Survayers don't pull stuff apart. If your bilge boards are screwed down it probably won't get checked. Crevice corrosion requires pulling the part in question out of its hole.

Rigging surveys are typically separate person/payment.

If some item is important to you you need to make sure before the survey that it is covered and the boat owner and you agree on liability if something breaks when it is pulled apart.

Les

WayneH

Jan 22, 2008
Tartan 37 287 Pensacola, FL
My surveyor broke it down to A, B and C items. With A being things that had to be fixed before leaving the dock. B things needed fixing on the next haulout and C were items that could use an upgrade/repair.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
The employment of cultivated words is indicative of intellectual prowess, the existence of which is palpable given the vessel choice.
I am appetent beyond illustration over this example of watercraft, and while bestowing my veneration hereby submit my candidature for an excursion.
Translation: "Can I go? Can I go? PLEASE!!!!!!!"

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
My surveyor broke it down to A, B and C items. With A being things that had to be fixed before leaving the dock. B things needed fixing on the next haulout and C were items that could use an upgrade/repair.
I don't have the report yet, but my surveyor said that his report will be like that, items with degree of severity or urgency to resolve. We completed the on-land survey, and are scheduling the sea trail now.