Survey what to look for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 19, 2013
Hunter 33 New Orleans
Hi, all.

My name is Jim and I live in New Orleans. I have sailed for many years, and now returning after a short affair with a small trawler. The wife has insisted that we buy a 2006 33.1 Huter. We will go to survey on Monday anything I should point out to the Surveyor to be on the outlook for? I know about the overheating of the 3GM30 at max rpm. That was the only glaring fault I could pick up reading the threads. I don't see any mention of blistering problems with this year and model. Boat is well equipped, AC/Genset/Refe are the three biggest items. Selden furling main, standard stuff the 33.1 came with. Has the ST60 instrument package, Wind, Depth, and Speed. No Wheelpilot, recommendations are welcome. Bottom Job few months ago, but will be lifted for inspection.

Thanks in advance Jim

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Jim:

I do not think that there is any issues with 3GM engines overheating. There may have been an issue with a particular engine.

Jul 19, 2013
Hunter 33 New Orleans
Jim:

I do not think that there is any issues with 3GM engines overheating. There may have been an issue with a particular engine.
Steve, thanks for the reply. That is good news, I have asked the surveryor to take a close look so all should be ok.

Jim

Jun 5, 2010
Hunter 25 Burlington NJ
Use the surveyor.

The less of an expert you are with regard to boat design, construction, repair and maintenance, the more you need to have the boat surveyed before buying it. Your bank and insurance company will probably require it anyway.

Sounds like the boat is well-equipped; might make a good deal. Should the surveyor discover some 'major' issues, see if you get from him an idea of what would be needed to remedy them. Then, keep your mouth shut as you negotiate a better deal with the seller. :dance:

I've always said that a bicycle with a flat tire or a guitar with a missing string always represents a good deal. Most people think these details are 'too technical' to be bothered with; and they suggest only the need for regular maintenance that any conscientious owner should expect to have to provide anyway!

Jul 19, 2013
Hunter 33 New Orleans
I certainly will rely heavily on the surveyors opinion. I had a Catalina 30 lifted the day before we found this boat and the bottom was so blistered that we walked on the deal cost me $800 bucks but it was worth it in the long run. Just trying to find any high points on this model so we can focus on any weak links.

My biggest concern on this boat is the Fischer Panda Genset, would have preferred a Northerlights unit but it is what it is.

Thanks Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.