Survey - should I and how much to pay?

Buki

Sep 24, 2013
Macgregor 26D Dallas - Lake Ray Hubbard
So I think I am about to take the plunge and buy my first sailboat. I've got it narrowed down to a couple of Mac 26's in my area. Anticipated sales price of 5-7 K. My question is - should I ante up and get a survey for a boat of this price and if so, how much should I expect to spend on it? Also, anybody know any good surveyors in the Dallas area?

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
try the mac board.

I didn't do a survey when I bought mine, but it was like my 8th boat. (2nd sailboat)

condition is everything, and knowing if its complete.

when I buy (or sell) a boat I ask for a sea trial. (usually after a deposit is made)

this lets you see how its operated, and if everything works.

Mr Mac

Sep 29, 2013
None None Pensacola, FL
I asked the same question just before we purchased our Hunter. I spoke to a surveyor who gave me a lot of good info on what to look for and then told me that if it didn't have the kind of fuel, propulsion, electrical, plumbing and nav systems of larger boats, then I could probably get by without a paid survey unless my insurance company required one for coverage (they didn't).

That said, I'm pretty good with electrical, plumbing and fiberglass work from all those years restoring cars and, with the help of my oldest (works at a marina fixing hulls) we were able to inspect the little boat quite easily and determine that we were certainly getting our money's worth on her.

Still, if you are unsure, pay for the survey! You can probably expect to pay anywhere from $15/foot on up.

Hope that helps.

azguy

Aug 23, 2012
Catalina 22 Lake Pleasant
I think you can do it yourself, I did.

However, I did look at nearly a dozen boats and I think that helped as with each one you get more comfortable poking around.

I assume it's on a trailer, that really helps, carefully inspect the bottom. Maybe since an outboard is a huge part of that boat have a professional take look at it.

A sailing trial is an absolute must, as you'll learn a lot about the boat.

How old is the boat..?

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
O'Day 35 Severn River, Mobjack Bay, Va.
I second getting a copy of Inspecting the Aging Sailboat.
It is a great source of info on what to look for, with lists & inspection procedures written for you. Bring a good flashlight,
a rubber hammer to sound the decks to hear for delamination or rot in the core, and if you can afford it a moisture meter. Heck the $500 or more that you save not hiring a surveyor will help pay for the tools.

ps. I work as a building inspector, & if you're buying a house that is 200k then by all means hire an inspector. But for a boat that's 5 k, you know that its used, & you get what you pay for. Mac's are more of a power boat then a sailboat, as they have quite a large 25 hp to 50 hp outboard, so pay close attention to the condition & maintenance of the engine.
Many macs are designed to trailer: pay close inspection to the trailer components, as a badly rusted trailer is not only a lot to fix, but an accident waiting to happen. Good luck & enjoy the hunt.

Buki

Sep 24, 2013
Thank you all for the courtesy of sharing your knowledge and opinions. Since my boat ownership experience is nil, I've decided it is best to go with the survey. My plan at this time will be to negotiate a sales price, give a good faith deposit, then proceed with a survey and sea worthiness trial. Then complete the purchase if there are no major issues.

And Warren, thanks! I've ordered the book.

Buki

Sep 24, 2013
Hi. Thanks for your thoughts. I'm looking at late 80's and early 90's models for affordability and as a starter boat. I definitely plan a sailing trial.

I think you can do it yourself, I did.

However, I did look at nearly a dozen boats and I think that helped as with each one you get more comfortable poking around.

I assume it's on a trailer, that really helps, carefully inspect the bottom. Maybe since an outboard is a huge part of that boat have a professional take look at it.

A sailing trial is an absolute must, as you'll learn a lot about the boat.

How old is the boat..?

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
.... Mac's are more of a power boat then a sailboat, as they have quite a large 25 hp to 50 hp outboard, so pay close attention to the condition & maintenance of the engine.
Many macs are designed to trailer: pay close inspection to the trailer components, as a badly rusted trailer is not only a lot to fix, but an accident waiting to happen. Good luck & enjoy the hunt.
It was only the latest model Mac, the M (now the Tatoo) and the one before it the X that have the big outboards and can plane. All other Macs/Ventures before the X including the D he is interested in are displacement hulls.

Still if you are right that if the outboard needs replaced or the trailer needs replaced or upgraded these can be major purchases for a boat this size.

If you are going to sail the gulf or different lakes that you aren't familial with the depths of I'd be looking for an S with the swing centerboard vs. the D with the dagger board. Much more forgiving in shallow water.

I also question spending much on a survey. Get on the Mac board here and ask what to look for or google the question. The nice thing about these boats is everything is simple and out in the open. I had a friend look at the one we bought 400 miles from it and bought it on his visual. He is mechanical and does have some boating background,

Sum

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]============================[/FONT]

Our Endeavour 37

Our MacGregor 26-S Pages

Our Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Mac-Venture Links

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
As you seem to have little knowledge of sailboats, getting a survey will be two fold. You will have a professional give you a list of deficiencies, some of which you might miss if you did your own, and you will have one should you wish insurance.
I've been on boats for over 50 years and even had a survey company, but I wouldn't consider doing my own survey, because if I really like a boat, and think I really want a boat, I might just allow my wishes to over ride my thoroughness.

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
note: the D and S (macgegor 26 CLASSIC) are waterballast boats.
-This is a 'wild card' in the sailboat category... somewhat newer. not a traditional design. and heels quite a bit initially. but cabin is much larger than the m25's...

make sure your surveyor knows its waterballast.

fwiw, I spent $3k on a new trailer, and new engines are around $2k. sails around 500 each. & factory stock electrical will never ever pass an inspection... (lamp cord).

-what year? 89 was the best of the D's IMHO.

visit the mac board for more details...

Nov 23, 2011
MacGregor 26D London Ontario Canada
I wouldn't worry too much about the dagger board hitting. It doesn't have to be down all the way. Down 2' works just fine. Down 6" when racing kind of off the wind down wind will keep it in line.
If you are concerned about hitting bottom you may want to sail some ware else.
I have 2 26D's and just pull the DB up to about 1' down if I know I'm some ware I shouldn't be. Knowing is the key...
You can down load free charts for allot of US waters from NOAA. I understand they are only free for another month or so...
Check on line for free navigation software like activecaprian and seaclear. You can use these with a tablet or laptop.

Buy a roll off butyl tape form MainSail. I can tell from here it leaks. They all do. (That can knock some off the price.... Look for lines running down the inside of the hull under the stays...)
You will enjoy the 26D.

Buki

Sep 24, 2013
Yep. I've definitely decided on a survey after negotiating a sales price. The boats are 1988 and 1989 models. Now on to finding a good marine surveyor in the DFW area......

note: the D and S (macgegor 26 CLASSIC) are waterballast boats.
-This is a 'wild card' in the sailboat category... somewhat newer. not a traditional design. and heels quite a bit initially. but cabin is much larger than the m25's...

make sure your surveyor knows its waterballast.

fwiw, I spent $3k on a new trailer, and new engines are around $2k. sails around 500 each. & factory stock electrical will never ever pass an inspection... (lamp cord).

-what year? 89 was the best of the D's IMHO.

visit the mac board for more details...

Dec 29, 2010
Hunter 25.5 Point Venture, TX
Surveyor

Yep. I've definitely decided on a survey after negotiating a sales price. The boats are 1988 and 1989 models. Now on to finding a good marine surveyor in the DFW area......
I am in Austin, TX (not Dallas) but I will recommend a local marine surveyor, Blue Water Surveyors. http://www.bluewatersurveyors.com/

Bobby Brown
Blue Water Surveyors
214-704-7750
241-552-3505

When I purchased a 1985 Hunter 25.5 from out of state a few years I hired Bobby Brown to do the survey. He met me at the marina (in Arkansas) and spent half a day going over the boat with me, both in the water and on the hard after it was hauled. And afterwards he delivered a detailed, 36-page survey report. All of this was perhaps a bit over the top for a boat this small, but in hindsight it was well worth the money.

Regardless of which surveyor you select, I suggest that you accompany the surveyor during the inspection of the boat. This, along with using the report as a price negotiation tool, is probably the best way to maximize the value of the money spent for a survey.
Regards,

Ernest Godsey

Godsey Technical Associates, LLC
Phone 512-351-8023
Fax 512-351-8627
Mobile 512-413-9552
E-mail egodsey@GodseyTech.com
Web www.GodseyTech.com

Buki

Sep 24, 2013
Earnest

Thank you very much. I appreciate the recommendation and will start with them. And I will join them for the survey.

I am in Austin, TX (not Dallas) but I will recommend a local marine surveyor, Blue Water Surveyors. http://www.bluewatersurveyors.com/

Bobby Brown
Blue Water Surveyors
214-704-7750
241-552-3505

When I purchased a 1985 Hunter 25.5 from out of state a few years I hired Bobby Brown to do the survey. He met me at the marina (in Arkansas) and spent half a day going over the boat with me, both in the water and on the hard after it was hauled. And afterwards he delivered a detailed, 36-page survey report. All of this was perhaps a bit over the top for a boat this small, but in hindsight it was well worth the money.

Regardless of which surveyor you select, I suggest that you accompany the surveyor during the inspection of the boat. This, along with using the report as a price negotiation tool, is probably the best way to maximize the value of the money spent for a survey.
Regards,

Ernest Godsey

Godsey Technical Associates, LLC
Phone 512-351-8023
Fax 512-351-8627
Mobile 512-413-9552
E-mail egodsey@GodseyTech.com
Web www.GodseyTech.com