Surprise!! Shaft wear by packing nut

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
There used to be a shop in Maine that would resurface a shaft. The price of new replacement vs resurfacing may have forced them out of business. Not much use for an old shaft other than a BBQ spit.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
There used to be a shop in Maine that would resurface a shaft. The price of new replacement vs resurfacing may have forced them out of business. Not much use for an old shaft other than a BBQ spit.
@All U Get any thread on that, like name sounds like "?" Or town in Maine? That would be a good one to have contacts for....

I wonder though if you are right, the price of resurfacing vs putting in new, makes me wonder if they could still be doing it. Although it could be a small part of their business, just gotta find them...

dj

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
If I were on a little remote island and discovered some wearing on the shaft, I would beach the boat. Then at low tide I would remove the packing gland entirely. This would allow me to cut the log tube about an inch and then reassemble the packing gland with new rings. Having moved the packing to a new area on the shaft I could now resume my quest.