Surfing on the Hudson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 22, 2008
Endeavour 32 Portland, Maine
Forumite “Four Points, my crew for the 2012 northbound New Jersey passage and the black tarp monster encounter,

http://forums.sbo.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?t=141071
http://forums.sbo.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?t=141075
http://forums.sbo.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?t=141077

showed up at the Halloween Yacht Club in Stamford at 1700 and, after his spending an hour getting a client’s computer fixed via remote connection while sitting in my cabin (is technology not wonderful?), we were off.

It was a bit splashy heading out into the afternoon southwester but conditions gradually improved and we had a nice night run under power to City Island where we picked up a long unused mooring for the night.

The run down the East River is always impressive but it’s beginning to feel like home waters after so many passages. We had a lazy start due to the tide, not weighing anchor until 1000, and still found ourselves a bit early so we took the long way around North Brother Island and Mill Rock for some scenic variety.

Once around the Battery, it was a different story. I’ve only been on this part of the Hudson once, going the other way at 20 knots on the delivery of one of my research vessels, and it was the first time under sail on the east side of Manhattan for either of us. The sight of the Freedom Tower with its top lost in the clouds and the whole new waterfront cityscape would have made it a memorable day even if it had ended at the 79 Street Boat Basin as planned.

A nice breeze was springing up just as we neared the basin, the day was beautiful with low puffy clouds and bright sun. Plan B, continuing on up to Croton didn’t even need discussion.

The wind was blowing straight up the river and just kept rising. Dead downwind is usually disappointing and awkward in Strider but, in the over 25,000 miles I’ve covered in her, I’ve never seen her even close to going so fast. The highest number I ever saw on the knot log was 8.2 for a few seconds on a reach.

Here is a video of what we were seeing on the knot log with full main and half jib:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=4731607828579&l=4270446741648937160

Never have I seen this heavy boat doing dinghy like death rolls while running wing and wing. We finally rolled up the jib and were seeing a steady 8 – 9 knots under main alone with peaks over 10. We did a couple of hair raising jibes when Brian couldn’t get the main sheet out of the cam cleat.

The swells kept building as we ran against the tide which kept our SOG on the low side but they became long enough that we started surfing, something I’ve seldom seen in ocean water in this boat and never expected to see in a river.

Peak speed? 10.68 knots through the water coming off a wave for at least 2-3 boat lengths. This is the kind of thing I would only have expected to be doing in trade wind conditions.

All this while sailing past the incredible Palisades.

We anchored in the gentle lee of the bight north of Croton point at 1715, a perfect time to end one of the most exciting sails I’ve had in Strider yet.

I dropped Brian off at the marina this morning and then went out to anchor in the partial lee just off the yacht club and railroad station where the wind is gradually easing and I’m catching up on emails and this post while waiting to hear from friends to make plans for the next few days.

Full picture album is here:

https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1229938_4731807553572_2091604845_n.jpg

CalebD

Jun 27, 2006
Tartan 27' 1967 Nyack, NY
Welcome to my sailing "back yard".
There is a safe anchorage on the western shore behind Bowline Point for when the wind shifts back to north (which it already is NW). Hug the southern shore when entering or leaving.
Shattermuc Yacht Club may have a guest mooring just south of Croton Point in Ossining.
Guest moorings at Nyack Boat Club are $25/night. Nice river village.

Wave to the guests in residence at Sing-Sing prison as you sail past and enjoy the views.

It is always best if you can travel with the current on the Hudson as it can reach 2 knots. Check out the current predictions for the Hudson on the L-36 tides/weather page that you like.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Nothing like that to make a fellow smile !
Sounding like a fine trip!

weinie

Sep 6, 2010
Jeanneau 349 port washington, ny
I used to row crew up there near Poughkeepsie during my college days. The hudson can be absolutely breathtaking!

ETA: Not sure how far upriver you are planning to go, but if you can moor, anchor, or dock nearby, check out the Storm King Art center for some incredible outdoor sculpture. You won't be disappointed.

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
Nice ride Roger. Good holding ground also in front of Nyack YC. just North of Tappan Zee bridge, south of Croton bay. Not sure of your plans but you can cover a lot of ground if you ride the tide going up the Hudson. The scenery is fabulous as you get near the Bear Mountain and then on to the West Point area. If you get to kingston, beware of the first bridge. Clearance 56' in the channel. Great peaceful anchorage in Esopus Creek (chart 12347_1). Long day from Croton, but feasible with the tide. Further up the river Catskill Creek offers marinas and restaurants. Possible anchorage as well. Then on to Castleton-on-Hudson where the Castleton-on-Hudson YC use to offer moorings for $5 per day. Have a safe trip.

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
1976 formosa 41 yankee clipper santa barbara. ca.(not there)
i learned to sail on hudson river, catskill creek was home to the eleanor, an historic treasure that was uncle phils 1903 gaff rigged sloop designed by clifton crane. she is still in hudson , ny
how far north on hudson are you sailing--it is so gorgeous there--above west point in particular.
the sleepy hollow area is truly breathtaking. we used to sail under rip van winkle bridge just to sail under it. wave at the rr engineers.....

Nov 22, 2008
Endeavour 32 Portland, Maine
how far north on hudson are you sailing--it is so gorgeous there--above west point in particular.
Unfortunately, it is just going to be a taste of the Hudson this year. Dreameagle is having some trouble with her back so we're just going to do a daysail and overnight, maybe.

We're then going to do some things and meet up with friends (Lee and Lynn from my posts about my first time down the ICW) in NYC and then go up to our cottages near Albany for the weekend. Our cottages are half a mile apart and we didn't meet until a little over a month ago, amazing.

I then have a meeting in Mystic October first and after that will head south at the first opportunity the weather provides.

I may not be doing a lot of sailing in the next week but I'll be doing things that I enjoy just as much and in some very beautiful places.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Nice ride Roger. Good holding ground also in front of Nyack YC. just North of Tappan Zee bridge, south of Croton bay. Not sure of your plans but you can cover a lot of ground if you ride the tide going up the Hudson. The scenery is fabulous as you get near the Bear Mountain and then on to the West Point area. If you get to kingston, beware of the first bridge. Clearance 56' in the channel. Great peaceful anchorage in Esopus Creek (chart 12347_1). Long day from Croton, but feasible with the tide. Further up the river Catskill Creek offers marinas and restaurants. Possible anchorage as well. Then on to Castleton-on-Hudson where the Castleton-on-Hudson YC use to offer moorings for $5 per day. Have a safe trip.
Oh man, this sounds so great. Quite possibly the best view I've seen is from West Point in the fall with the foliage near peak. Really, I have to add a trip up or down the Hudson to my life list. I'm a fan of the Hudson River School of painters and the river valley, and the adjacent Catskills are just magnificent. To see it in the 1800's would have been sublime. I don't think you can see it driving by at highway speed. 5 knots would be about right.

Sep 2, 2009
Hunter Vision-32 New Hamburg, NY
Welcome to the Hudson Roger!

It IS a beautiful river. Here's a view from my Yacht Club's Upper Deck .... usually not much wind though!

Attachments

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Can't beat the clear days and great breezes we've been providing for you. It even seems like the leaves are turning a little early this year. If you are still around Bear Mtn this weekend, Sue and I might be hiking above you. We'll wave if we see ya!

Status
Not open for further replies.