Sureflow Blaster pump problems

Jan 21, 2018
Ericson 30+ Milford
I'm looking for advise as I try to troubleshoot a freshwater plumbing problem.

Was intending to winterize the system yesterday. Used the pump to empty to few gallons of fresh water in my water tank, pumping through the open hot and cold water faucets in the galley and head. Got to the point where nothing was coming out and assumed the tank was empty at that point. The pump is a Sureflow Blaster Model 2088 with a pump-saver screen filter on the inflow coming from the tank.

When I added a few gallons of winterizing solution to the tank and turned the pump back on - I got no flow. Pump was on - I could hear it - but no flow. I've now taken the pump apart twice to inspect the mechanism for a clog or problem with the valves. Seems like it all was working. On the last time I put it together, I put the input into a container of water and it seemed to pump just fine. When I connect to the strainer output, again, I get nothing. If I blow backwards through the input hose to the pump, I can hear bubbles in the tank so it seems like there isn't a block on that end. My foot operated galley pump draws from the tank just fine and it tapped off of the same line that feeds the electric pump. I haven't replaced any of the parts for the pump yet, just rebuilt.

If I put my finger over the inlet of the pump while on - to see how much of a vacuum is developed - I can feel something but it feels pretty week. Not sure what to expect.

A maddening problem with a few days left to winterize.

Anybody have any suggestions or similar experience they can share?

Mike

Jan 21, 2018
Ericson 30+ Milford
I don't believe the vent is plugged. The manual foot pump draws from the same outlet of the tank just fine. The vent line is to a spigot in the head sink rather than through the hull.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Your pump may have a weak dry lift capability (i.e needs fluid in the pump to over power the air in the lines).

It may have problems sucking the air out. Prime the pump from the outlet side and see what happens.

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
Have you checked your strainer. You say that putting the input in a water container it seemed to pump just fine. My bet would be that if you did clean the strainer and reassembled it is letting some air in negating the pressure water at the faucet. don't ask me how I know LOL !

Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Lake Huron
Also check the strainer / aerator on the faucet you are using. That one bit me last spring. I had the pump apart before I thought to try one of the other faucets in the boat. Sink faucet had some crap in it completely blocking the flow.