Supporting deck stepped masts

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mike

What is the best means of giving the extra support necessary for the mast step on a Pearson Coaster. Mine has a noticable dip in the overhead when viewed from the inside.

Jun 2, 2004
- - Sandusky Harbor Marina, Lake Erie
Repair the deck "sandwich" in mast step

These symptoms indicate that water has entered and rotted the balsa or plywood layer(s) supporting your mast step. The fix is to peel back the fiberglass, take out the rotted wood, and rebuild the structure with wood, epoxy and glass. (I substituted aluminum for the wood to avoid recurrence, and spread the load over a larger area.) Check the archives for various threads on this topic. The fix can ba a diy job - I had ours done by a fiberglass pro for around $1,000. David Lady Lillie

P

Paul

Compression Post

You might need to check your compression post or bulkhead below the mast too. If there are any gaps here the mast is no longer being supported from below. Check the top where it is flush with the deck and the bottom where it is flush with the keel.

C

Charlie Gruetzner - BeneteauOwners.net

Common Problem

Mike all the answers you have been given so far are good but you also want to check under the compression post and make sure there is enough support there as wll as what is going on up on deck Charlie

S

Salty Joe

mast beam cracked on my 1965 SC23

On my Alberg designed South Coast 23 (similar to a Cape Dory 22) the deck stepped mast is supported by a mast beam bolted to the bulkhead. Mine is cracked (probably due to a Prev. Owner installing a hinged mast support and drilling a 1/2" hole right through the center of the mast beam). Here is what I am doing to fix, based on reading I've done on the Internet: I jacked up the mast beam using a screw jack and then made templates out of 1/4" plywood that I will have made into stainless steel. I will sandwich the stainless steel in between the bulkhead and new oak beams I will cut and install. How does that sound? Any other ideas for strengthening this area?

Aug 2, 2005
pearson ariel grand rapids
something not to do

A PO of my boat placed aluminum angle on the lower edges of the mast beam, he did an excellent job, and had the angle rolled so it fits the curve perfectly, and actually it doesn't look bad, BUT don't do it! I't at just the right height to catch people across the head, and the edges are sharp, so it's realy painfull. (only once so far for me, but everyone who's been in the v-berth has done it) I'm thinking when I redo it, I'm going to sandwich a few steel or aluminum plates in it, which will hopefully allow me to raise it a bit, or if I don't raise it, make it almost bullet proof. Ken

C

Charlie Gruetzner - BeneteauOwners.net

Deck stepped mast

Mike, it sounds like you h=might have water getting into the core aound the mast and that is effecting the support. Take a small plastic faced hammer and tap around the deck area, listen to how it sounds and then by the mast. If it is a dull thud rather tha n crisper sound you have moisiture intrusion and need to get on that right away. If you have any questions give a me a call at 845 225 6111 Charlie

Status
Not open for further replies.