Supercapacitor starters & “batteries”

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
I have been around powerboats and sailboats my whole life, and I own one of each. My father was more of a powerboat person. He always taught me to start the boat at home before leaving for the ramp, or start it before lowering it off the davits, and that stuck with me.
I accidentally left the battery switch on in my powerboat along with the stereo. The battery ran down, and I could not start the boat before we left for the marina where we keep our sailboat berthed in the Summer, so we put the charger on and left the boat home. We could have jumped it, but then the battery would still need charging, so we left the boat home. On the way, we decided we would look for a starter-pack we could carry for such cases.
We found this:
https://www.amazon.com/autowit-Portable-Batteryless-Supercap-Ultra-Safe/dp/B07F8MJW8W

I bought one, and waited for the chance to use it. I got my chance last week when my “old” powerboat, that I had for sale and sold last week, would not start. I usually start it weekly, but I was preparing for a weeklong vacation, and then I was away for 10 days. Anyway, the battery was just a little weak, so I connected the Autowit. It charged in about 30 seconds and gave me the green light. I hit the start button and turned the key on the boat. The motor was cold, and needed to be choked, but it started right up. I disconnected the device, pretty happy to not have to haul out my charger for a jump start or carry around a starter pack battery.
Now I am seeing that there are “supercapacitor batteries,” which seems a misnomer, but interesting just the same. It seems the battery has a bank of supercapacitors added in order to provide some amps on startup.

I had not seen the topic here, so I thought I would mention it in case others are interested in such a device or have some thoughts on them.

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
Takes five to possibly even ten seconds of starter motor time sometimes to start a cold diesel. Then there is the high current for 10 to 20 seconds for glow plugs first. This device would have to control the "release" of a lot of amps.

The principle reminds me of the flash attachment for a camera (clipped on the current source on the "hot shoe" ) back in the 70's and 80's ---- you'd hear a (sort of a very muted squeal) sound when the capacitor was loading up, then the ready light would turn green, and then you snapped the picture accompanied by a brilliant flash.

Thanks for the link. I'd be curious to see it working.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Yeah, I am not sure how it would work on a diesel. My 2 stroke 70 hp needs about 2 seconds of cranking, choked, when cold. The capacitor kept it cranking long enough, but I do not know how long it could go.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
After doing a bit of quick research on this item...
It appears to be a good "jumper cable" replacement for starting gasoline engines or perhaps a way to assure you get to a place for a weak battery replacement.
Jim...

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
They need at least some power to charge the capacitor so they are OK for a weak battery situation, but if the battery is deeply discharged they don't work. A battery pack with its own battery can substitute for a dead battery.