Super Secret Settled Science of Sailing?

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Stream flow for sure.

1) If you are standing on the fore deck and Pizz on the unfurled head sail, does the boat move faster?
2) Pizz overboard instead, does the boat move faster?
3) Pizz on the helmsman, does the boat move faster?

Jim...
All good questions Jim. I haven't a clew, although, I suspect YOU will move faster if you Pizz on the helmsman.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I haven't a clew
Answers:
1) No, the force vectors are balanced.
2) Yes, the boat is lighter
3) Yes, because the helmsman threw you overboard:cowbell:

Jim...

PS: The land mass encountered would be Australia , which is due West of Southern California.:pimp:

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I'm pretty sure I know which one.
Well I guess technically New Guinea is a large land mass.:rolleyes::doh::rolleyes:
But...
If I left, say San Diego, and wanted to go to Australia, my compass bearing would be 270° for most of the trip.
So...
Windy.com has a neat new feature of calculating great circle bearings and distances.
DueWest.png

Note Point 1 is San Diego and point 2 is Northern Australia. Bearing is 270° distance 6700 nm.
If I wanted to miss New Guinea, it should have been 255°.:(:oops:
Jim...

PS: Pretty cool feature of setting multiple course and bearings for trip planning. You can add many points to the Windy global map.

PSS: Japan is bearing 306° from San Diego

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
So If I headed west out of the Juan D'Fuca strait and took up a bearing of 300 degrees True, I would find Miyako Harbor on the East edge of Japan. (after avoiding a couple of the islands in the Aleutian Islands.
3800 NM only fuel for half the trip.. bummer. Better find some wind.