Sunwind 311 - question about hull

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Who could inform whether hull is based on Epoxy or Polyester resin?
It is highly unlikely the hull is built with epoxy. Epoxy is more expensive than polyester resin, it takes longer to build a hull with epoxy, and it is a bit harder to work with. Boats built after the mid 80s often use vinyl ester resin because it is more resistant to blistering.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Welcome to SBO.
The question is interesting. It is unlikely that a production boat would be constructed using “Epoxy”. Here is a link to SailboatData. It indicates “FG” meaning fiber glass as the construction material. SUNWIND 311 - sailboatdata

The resin used most often in boat construction was Polyester Resin. This is due to costs. It was discovered in the late 80’s that the Polyester resins were creating an issue with osmotic blistering. The higher end boats switched to “Vinyl Ester” resins. The vinyl ester resin is more resistant to hydrolysis.

While Epoxy resin is often used in repairs, it is more expensive and more difficult to work with.

Since the Sunwind was first built in 1988 they may have used Vinyl Ester resins, but I would doubt it.

Feb 16, 2024
Sunwind Sunwind 311 Riga
Thank everybody for the reply. My boat got some damages to rudder and rudder tube securing in hull. I am looking for repairs. Is it good to make repair with non-epoxy resin? (repairs planned inside and outside) By the way, what budget level of repairs could I expect?

Attachments

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Repairs are generally better made with epoxy resin rather than polyester. Epoxy has much better adhesion characteristics than polyester, it will form a stronger repair bond.

Because of the extent of the damage, the rudder should be removed from the boat and cut open to inspect the rudder post and the flanges. The barnacles suggest the damaged rudder has been in the water a long time. The foam inside and the metal may have begun to deteriorate and need replacing. This video series will give you a good idea of what's inside a rudder and how to repair it.

As for the cost of repair, I can't venture a guess as you are in Latvia and I'm in the US, don't have an idea about labor rates in Riga or the cost of materials.

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
Ouch! Take Dave's advice (above). We were quoted $5000 (USD) for a new rudder. That did not include repairing the shaft tube or bearings, which you will need to do.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
You have a challenging project. Rather than tell you some of the ideas, I am attaching a source of knowledge that I trust and feel can help you in many more ways than just a single idea - quick answer.

Andy has demonstrated a deep and successful knowledge of the issues you will be facing. He is a valuable resource.

You have several issues. You need to repair the rudder shaft log. You need to establish new shaft bearings. You need to empty the water out of the rudder and reestablish water integrity so water does not again enter and destroy the rudder from the inside.

Andy has rebuilt rudders and recorded the process on his channel. If you are not a DIY type of person you will need to either buy replacements or hire the work to be completed.