Sunfish help

Jul 30, 2019
sunfish 14 long island bay beach
Hello to all! Looking for knowledgable sunfish sailors. I am new to sailing. I have been up and down between a new sunfish and pre-owned. With much thought I decided on new, until....
I found an 1983 AMF sunfish that has been garaged from 1983-2017, asking price 2200.00 , comes with "Like new" Trailex Trailer w/ title. Honestly I do not know anything about AMF vs Sunfish.... I need to make a decision because I am sure the AMF will be gone at a bat of an eye...
Anything you can share to help me in the right direction will truly be gratefully appreciated

Thank you!:)

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
The biggest issue with the Sunfish is water logged hulls. There are a couple of known issues and places where water can enter the hull and saturate the styrofoam blocks that support the deck and provide flotation.

The main culprits are the at the base of the mast step and the centerboard trunk. I'm sure a little time with google will yield more information than you can consume on this issue.

The quick test is the boat's weight. If I recall correctly the boat (hull only) should weigh in at about 110 lbs.

Once the boat gets waterlogged, it is simple in principle to dry it out. Notice the simple in principle. The standard process is to cut a hole in the deck and install an inspection port, then leave the port open and try to get enough warm dry air to circulate to dry the foam.

Jul 30, 2019
good morning and thank you. Yes I have heard of the water logged problems. The new boats no longer use foam, they changed to airbags... I was a little questionable about that...being new to sailing I felt this was a good starting point for me. thanks again

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
If you're new to sailing perhaps it'd be best to buy a used boat. Most of us who enjoy sailing want to upgrade to something bigger after a year or two. Sailboats usually dont sell very quickly so in most cases there's not a rush to buy

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
Don't know when the SF changed from a metal edge on the hull to deck joint but that was a culprit in the waterlogging problems. Older boats hull joint does not have the integrity of the newer boats. So, that's something to consider if this boat has the metal trim on that joint. If so, inspect carefully. Can also put air pressure (low pressure, don't want to blow it up) in the hull drain hole and soap up (dish soap and water solution) the hull joint and the mast step area an look for bubbles (air escaping).

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Had one for years growing up. If it leaks just open the drain holes, tilt it on it's side and let the water drain out. I would be more concerned about the trailer. Tires that old may be rotten out and need to be replaced. Also the bearing grease might be all dried out and need to be repacked with fresh grease. Unless you are racing the water leakage problem isn't that big a deal. You can have a lot of fun and just drain it after each use, it doesn't leak so much it will sink, it just slows you down a bit.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
The Sunfish has gone through several different manufacturers AMF was just one. That price is not too far off from a new Sunfish. If the boat is absolutely pristine perhaps but the price seems high. Sounds like a great boat for a real Sunfish aficionado. All that said you will easily get $2,200 worth of fun out of the boat and really decent used Sunfish are not easy to find so I don't think you can go too wrong at that price.

Our program had two trailex trailers we sold one I am not a big fan. There are mild steel bolts used to hold the anodized aluminum parts together the axle and springs are just painted steel. Somewhere inland with no salt air/water maybe able to get away with that but down here they do not hold up well. Because of the unique construction they do not use standard trailer hardware so maintenance is a challenge as well. The idea is wonderful a trailer that is light enough to double as a dolly and maybe it does work well in fresh water areas.

Jul 30, 2019
Hi and thanks for replying. well that boat has sold...the owner never took his ad down...it is truly pristine and has been garaged since 1983 to 2017..it was the biggest reason I considered it. Thanks for the heads up on the trailer, I honestly do not know too much about them... I wouldn't be lake sailing and I am on the east coast close to the ocean...I priced out a 2019 and they are selling for 4600.00... I will see what I decide, thanks again and have a great day!

Jul 30, 2019
Don't know when the SF changed from a metal edge on the hull to deck joint but that was a culprit in the waterlogging problems. Older boats hull joint does not have the integrity of the newer boats. So, that's something to consider if this boat has the metal trim on that joint. If so, inspect carefully. Can also put air pressure (low pressure, don't want to blow it up) in the hull drain hole and soap up (dish soap and water solution) the hull joint and the mast step area an look for bubbles (air escaping).
Thank you for sharing your knowledge, I am not sure when the metal rim was stopped being used on the SF.. the new ones do not have it or use foam in the hull any longer, it replace with airbags like the laser. The older boat I considered has been garaged and never used, it sold right away... with all said, I am probably better off buying new... thanks again! Have a great day!

Jul 30, 2019
Had one for years growing up. If it leaks just open the drain holes, tilt it on it's side and let the water drain out. I would be more concerned about the trailer. Tires that old may be rotten out and need to be replaced. Also the bearing grease might be all dried out and need to be repacked with fresh grease. Unless you are racing the water leakage problem isn't that big a deal. You can have a lot of fun and just drain it after each use, it doesn't leak so much it will sink, it just slows you down a bit.
Hi! They listed the trailer like new condition...but the boat was sold. The owner never took his ad down.. I think I will just buy a new one..this has been up and down for me for a long while... summer is passing by so I have to just do it lol thanks bunches!

Jul 30, 2019
If you're new to sailing perhaps it'd be best to buy a used boat. Most of us who enjoy sailing want to upgrade to something bigger after a year or two. Sailboats usually dont sell very quickly so in most cases there's not a rush to buy
I see all the big beautiful boats everyone has on here! I live in a bayfront community , lots of sunfish sailing clubs/meetups/races etc...even if I did upgrade to a larger boat, I would probably still hold on to the SF...easy to get in the water and have fun for a few hours...I will see what I decide. Pre-owned pristine SF are truly hard to come by...many are pretty beaten up..and they still ask a lot for them, except this one which has been garaged and only taken out the last two years a handful of times...that sparked an interest, and I just found out it was sold...I will see!! Thank you for sharing, I appreciate it!

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
The new Sunfish are now built in China and would be concerned about cost and construction. However, the Aquafin built in Charleston, SC by American Sail is quality built designed for Boy Scouts which take a beating. Parts are redably easy to obtain. They stand behind there product. Pretty much close the same. Check out Aquafin

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
Last I heard they were having a hard time even getting boats out of China are Sunfish available now ?