Sunderland Feared Lost At Sea

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 22, 2008
Fed up w/ personal attacks I'm done with SBO
It was great to learn that the Qantas crew spoke with her by VHF and that she is OK. Regardless of age, she is quite the sailor and one tough cookie.

Here's where I'm sure I'll ruffle some feathers, I seem to have a knack for it.

Am I the only one?
Whew, I really have some problems with all this.
1. Solo voyaging is basically unseamanlike. A vessel underway is supposed to maintain a watch at all times. This cannot be done sailing solo for prolonged voyages. The argument that she had sufficient electronic warning systems onboard is empty. We've learned of her various electronic failures along the way.
2. The entire purpose of this quest was to set a record. I don't criticize Abby, but my knee jerk reaction is I'd like to go a few rounds with her dad. Lucky for him he doesn't live in Holland, he'd be in jail (similar quest by a 13 year old there was shut down by the government).
3. This type of sailing is purely discretionary, not professional or essential. Basically, those that do this are engaging in adventure travel, a sort of high thrill vacation. When things go wrong they're on the radio calling for help, putting rescue crews at risk. So far in Abby's case, the Qantas Airbus was at the limit of its navigational range just to reach her. Rescue boats are weathering extreme conditions to get to her at best possible speed. All of these entities are put at risk to rescue someone who chooses to travel in this way.

To repeat, I don't fault Abby, thankful she's OK, but as far as her parents, what are you thinking? Is a record worth it? Assuming this episode concludes favorably tomorrow, Abby dodged a bullet. I hope her dad is taken to task publicly so this sort of shinola isn't repeated.

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
It was great to learn that the Qantas crew spoke with her by VHF and that she is OK. Regardless of age, she is quite the sailor and one tough cookie.

Here's where I'm sure I'll ruffle some feathers, I seem to have a knack for it.

Am I the only one?
Whew, I really have some problems with all this.
1. Solo voyaging is basically unseamanlike. A vessel underway is supposed to maintain a watch at all times. This cannot be done sailing solo for prolonged voyages. The argument that she had sufficient electronic warning systems onboard is empty. We've learned of her various electronic failures along the way.
2. The entire purpose of this quest was to set a record. I don't criticize Abby, but my knee jerk reaction is I'd like to go a few rounds with her dad. Lucky for him he doesn't live in Holland, he'd be in jail (similar quest by a 13 year old there was shut down by the government).
3. This type of sailing is purely discretionary, not professional or essential. Basically, those that do this are engaging in adventure travel, a sort of high thrill vacation. When things go wrong they're on the radio calling for help, putting rescue crews at risk. So far in Abby's case, the Qantas Airbus was at the limit of its navigational range just to reach her. Rescue boats are weathering extreme conditions to get to her at best possible speed. All of these entities are put at risk to rescue someone who chooses to travel in this way.

To repeat, I don't fault Abby, thankful she's OK, but as far as her parents, what are you thinking? Is a record worth it? Assuming this episode concludes favorably tomorrow, Abby dodged a bullet. I hope her dad is taken to task publicly so this sort of shinola isn't repeated.

This has been discussed ad-nauseum when she and the others first set out. At this point I'm just glad to hear she's ok after several tense hours wondering about her safety.

May 25, 2010
Ericson 32-200 Seattle
I'm glad a 16 year-old isn't dead, but tired of hearing about such "quests." Maybe it has been discussed ad nauseum when she and others first set out. Now maybe it needs to be discussed ad nauseum some more, so that self-absorbed morons like her parents get held financially accountable for their narcissism. New rule: you want your child to own a record in a dangerous activity, you pay the tab for the rescue.

Jun 8, 2004
Pearson 26W Marblehead
My 2c

The Land is kind to humans. The sea is indifferent.
If you go to sea be a good mariner or the sea will find you out pretty fast.
Im sure This young woman was very capable. My hat is off to her. And now Im glad to see they have found her.

Dec 9, 2006
Oday 22 Hickory, NC
Banooma...I couldn't have said it better. This comes from a guy that lost lost a GREAT Marine friend in February...and wondering...why?
And to keep it on topic...I am glad she planned and tried to fulfill a dream!
How many of us say, I wish I could...fill in the blanks.
Jack

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2006
Sorry, wasn't a member of the forum then and was unaware I was rehashing old business.
Sorry Neil, didn't mean to be harsh. There are many threads in the past when she first started out whether she should be going and her age and solo records etc. I just didn't want this thread, which is about her origianlly activating the EIPRBs and now her rescue, to start back discussing whetehr she should be out there in the first place.

Please make yourself at home and welcome to the forum.

Sep 20, 2006
I've deleted a couple of political posts and will shut this one down if it continues that way.

Let's stick to the facts about her rescue. Other than that start a new topic in the Sail Call Lounge.

Thanks,

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
When Robin Graham was dis-masted in the Indian Ocean we didn't yet have satellites or reliable long range communication. He managed to jury rig a sail to his boom and continue on to his next landfall. When he got back to the states he moved to Montana.

Jan 22, 2008
Fed up w/ personal attacks I'm done with SBO
Let's stick to the facts about her rescue. Other than that start a new topic in the Sail Call Lounge.
I heard there are three boats on their way. One is a fishing boat, I think it's expected to be the first on scene. Anyone heard anything about the other two?

P.S.
I'm pretty new to the forum environment. So that I'm clear on how this forum is controlled, is it customary to focus a thread to a single aspect of an issue? It seems to me that the Abby Sunderland story is much, much more than a rescue.

Nov 30, 2007
Hunter 36 Forked River, NJ
Sailing is an activity with inherent risk. That is something we all appreciate and respect, the Sunderlands included. I'm thankful that she prepared well enough to have the essentials to survive, and that the EPIRB equipment is functioning. To think of the many mariners who have perished and those who have survived with less is fascinating. To follow Abby's pursuit has been awe-inspiring. Abby and her family deserve her safe rescue and return, as well as our support as a sailing community. To some degree, I think we all share some of the same dream.

LuzSD

Feb 21, 2009
Catalina 30 San Diego/ Dana Point, Ca.
thanks Scott B, wonderful to see her boat. What a beautiful site. Stay strong Abby.

Jun 19, 2004
Catalina 387 Hull # 24 Port Charlotte, Florida
Shut the thread down if you like Scott. Had she not gone, the discussion would not be. I consider it gross negligence on behalf of her parents. Ad nauseum or not, who is next and where does the line get drawn. A 12 year old? People that conduct search and rescue services put their life on the line and for them to be put at risk so a kid can set a record is wrong in my opinion. She is not an adult in the eyes of the law and her parents are her legal guardians, and failed to protect her.

Sep 20, 2006
Shut the thread down if you like Scott. Had she not gone, the discussion would not be. I consider it gross negligence on behalf of her parents. Ad nauseum or not, who is next and where does the line get drawn. A 12 year old? People that conduct search and rescue services put their life on the line and for them to be put at risk so a kid can set a record is wrong in my opinion. She is not an adult in the eyes of the law and her parents are her legal guardians, and failed to protect her.

Not trying to take a hard line, just was trying to stay focused on the rescue in this thread, since we have so many other threads on the why's or why nots, although, they are long gone from the main page.

Sep 20, 2006
I heard there are three boats on their way. One is a fishing boat, I think it's expected to be the first on scene. Anyone heard anything about the other two?

P.S.
I'm pretty new to the forum environment. So that I'm clear on how this forum is controlled, is it customary to focus a thread to a single aspect of an issue? It seems to me that the Abby Sunderland story is much, much more than a rescue.

Neil, sent you a PM. We're really not that restrictive or controlling.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
History has far too many examples of young people achieving extraordinary travel feats for anyone in this modern age to say what is too young. Sometimes a young man or woman tries an Abby Sunderland and sometimes they just escape from an abusive home life. The jockey that rode to a win in the Preakness Stakes has been a professional jockey since he was 16. Riding race horses is very dangerous. I wouldn't try to do it but he knew how to ride. Crossing several oceans is dangerous as demonstrated by Abby but she knew when to call for help and how to survive until help arrived. Too many people have abandoned their boat for a life raft and their boat is found days or weeks later in sound and usuable condition. Abby didn't panic.

Sep 25, 2008
C30 Event Horizon Port Aransas
I'm glad a 16 year-old isn't dead, but tired of hearing about such "quests." Maybe it has been discussed ad nauseum when she and others first set out. Now maybe it needs to be discussed ad nauseum some more, so that self-absorbed morons like her parents get held financially accountable for their narcissism. New rule: you want your child to own a record in a dangerous activity, you pay the tab for the rescue.
Maybe she should stay home and smoke pot or get pregnant?

I think Zac and Abbys dad trained them to be competent and courageous. Do you want your son or daughter to be the one who hides in the foxhole or charges the machine gun pit with a shovel because they're out of ammunition? It's ok to say hides in the foxhole, that means you want your child to survive. But do YOU want to be the one who hides in the foxhole? Try to see your kids as people and you will understand why they took this challenge on.

Dec 9, 2006
Oday 22 Hickory, NC
Hermit, I sort of thought that too!
So many kids have no motovation to do much more than sit around watching TV or Heaven forebid...twitter! She went out there! I admire that!
Jack

kenn

Apr 18, 2009
CL Sandpiper 565 Toronto
I'm of course very happy that the young lady is safe.

I'm also glad I missed most of the fireworks in this thread ;)

I will say that considering she's sponsored and considering there are accolades, career opportunities, etc to be received for completing, or even attempting such a feat, then I don't think it's unreasonable to expect them to have their own chase boat ( eg a following cruiser) within a few hours' range of her boat, to be the first responder, so that search & rescue facilities are not unduly burdened by the additional risks of what is, after all, a stunt. (or a family business, since her brother also did a solo circumnavigation)

Status
Not open for further replies.