Sun Gypsy 2017 cruise

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
Into Sydney this last weekend to take our Gwaii Haanas orientation. Stopped at Tanners to order charts we don't have yet. Out to COSCO for a pick-up full of staples for the boat. 32 days and counting weather spring comes or not!

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Into Sydney this last weekend to take our Gwaii Haanas orientation. Stopped at Tanners to order charts we don't have yet. Out to COSCO for a pick-up full of staples for the boat. 32 days and counting weather spring comes or not!
Dang. Well, posting a sail plan for us marina bonded neophytes to drool over is certainly in order; before you cast off of course. Pretty please?:thumbup:

Jan 5, 2017
Hi Terry
Picked up the Inside Passage Route Planning Maps to drool over myself. Two strip maps from the Columbia River to South-East Alaska. Great to have for an overview! Current plan is to go up the inside passage to Prince Rupert to pickup guests then into the Khutzemateen Inlet to the Grizzley Sanctuary. Back to P.R. for a crew change then out to Haida Gwaii. Spend a few weeks there then back to the central coast and do a little exploring down to about Hakai Passage then head for Cape Scott and do the West Coast of Vancouver Island. Should be home about the middle of Sept. if all goes well.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
I'm envious..went the Broughtons last summer for 9 wks and admiral says thats long enough....

Jan 5, 2017
I am so lucky Mark. We were out for 4 months last year. As far as Bella Coola and Bella Bella and had a great trip. Bev is doing much of the planning for this year and is ,I think, just as enthusiastic as I am.

Mar 15, 2013
Islander 32 mkll Comox Hrb.
I'm envious too, it'll be a couple of years before I can take a trip of more than two weeks:(

Jan 5, 2017
Speaking of practice. We should be in Comox 3rd week of April to visit friends. Always fun to watch the Snowbirds practice!

Dec 25, 2000
There remains stuck in my mind a desire to spend a month or two at the Minstrel Island wharf, just because. Not much left there, but ...

We wish you and Bev a safe trip and look forward to a detailed writeup upon your return. Should be a fun one.

Not much of a reason to stop at Bella Bella or New Bella Bella other than a nice grocery store. Shearwater a nicer place to stop. Ocean Falls another story.

Jan 5, 2017
There remains stuck in my mind a desire to spend a month or two at the Minstrel Island wharf, just because. Not much left there, but ...

We wish you and Bev a safe trip and look forward to a detailed writeup upon your return. Should be a fun one.

Not much of a reason to stop at Bella Bella or New Bella Bella other than a nice grocery store. Shearwater a nicer place to stop. Ocean Falls another story.
Hi Terry
In a month or two you could have the place re-built ( if you didn't spend all day just enjoying it all) Very pretty area.
Thanks for the best wishes! We'll keep a good log and take some pictures for latter.
The way Bev's packing stuff away on the boat we may be able to do the whole trip non-stop! Still a couple of inches to the boot-top!

Dec 25, 2000
Hi Michael, just a note to provide you with one of our remote anchorages during our 2015 Cruise north. Mapcarta does not identify a name, but nice and quiet inside with the entrance just to the left of Lillie Point. Entrance very shallow so transit during mid tide state minimum. Plenty of water inside and good holding. We entered and exited during the flood.

https://mapcarta.com/24453512

Originally, Oliver Cove Marine Park was our planned anchorage but we found it to be too exposed to the blow that afternoon and not enough room for two boats. Reid Pass was narrow in spots and quite interesting.

From there we headed for Jackson Narrows on our way to Klemtu.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2013
Islander 32 mkll Comox Hrb.
That spot is called Boat Cove Terry, pretty little spot. I anchored in there once with an 100ft x 30ft landing craft a couple of years ago, it's a little bit skinny getting in there!

Jan 5, 2017
Thanks Terry
It's always nice to have a recommended anchorage. We are so looking forward to this trip! Spring is finally here. In the last couple of days the Dafs , Pussy Willows and our Almond tree have all flowered.

Jan 5, 2017
That spot is called Boat Cove Terry, pretty little spot. I anchored in there once with an 100ft x 30ft landing craft a couple of years ago, it's a little bit skinny getting in there!
The width should be OK then. Only have to worry about my 7ft. draft!

Jan 5, 2017
That is nice! Bev and I spent a night there last year on the way to Ocean Falls too. I really liked the whole of Gunboat, very interesting.