"Sump Pump" on Nav Panel and Rule 650/750 Bilge Pump

Jan 17, 2020
Hunter 326 Oriental, NC
While tending to issues on my recenly purchased 2004 Hunter 326, i noticed the Rule 650 sump pump, with internal, digital activation switch was only pumping when the momentary "Bilge Pump" switch was pushed. I thought it was broken but before replacing called Rule (yes, there is a person you can call there) and found out that the Solid Brown wire needs 12v. constant for this function. On my pump, that solid brown wire is connected to a brown/yellow wire that goes to the middle of three connections on the momentary "Bilge Pump" switch. Tested that line to find it dead. The middle connector on the "Bilge Pump" switch is always dead. I tried a lot of things with that switch that did not work.

My nave panel also has a switch labeled, "Bilge Pump." This also has a brown wire which gets 12v. when on, but I could not determine where it went. To my knowledge there is no "Sump Pump" (other than the Rule bilge pump) in my boat. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE THIS WIRE GOES OR IF THERE IS ANOTHER SUMP PUMP SOMEWHERE?

I connected a temporary jumper line from the switched-hot terminal on the "Sump Pump" switch to the brown/yellow wire that I disconnected from the middle terminal of the "Bilge Pump" switch. In exactly 2.5 minutes, the Rule 650 kicked in and drained the bilge. It ran empty for about 2 minutes and then shut off. This complies with Rule's YouTube video that states the 650 (and presumably the updated replacement, 760) issues a half-second start of the impeller every 2.5 minutes. If the impeller finds water, it pumps until all water is gone (presumably testing every 2.5 minutes of pumping time).

So...I am going to permanently install a jumper from the switched-hot side of the "Sump Pump" switch to the disconnected brown/yellow wire to the Rule 650 and leave that switch on when I leave my boat at the marina's AC-powered dock for long periods, thus protecting my boat from flooding by hurricane or small leak.

WHAT DO YOU FOLKS THINK OF THIS?

(Sorry for the perhaps overwritten document above - I like to explain stuff completely. Critiques of style welcomed.)

Quasimotor in Oriental NC

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Wouldn't wire brown to the panel because the 1-2 Both switch would have to be on for it to work.. Better to wire brown to the unswitched hot post (fused at the switch) on the back of the 1-2 switch so the pump runs with the battery selector off. Some folks prefer to not have the 12V panel "hot" while they are away..
(EDITED to remove bad info)

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Quasi, Do you have a "sump" in the floor of the head? Maybe the shower area where it is run from a manually operated switch?

Jan 17, 2020
Hunter 326 Oriental, NC
Kloudie1:I do not completely understand your comment. When you say, "Wouldn't wire brown to the panel because the 1-2 Both switch would have to be on for it to work." are you referring to the battery charge switch? What position should that be when I leave the boat for weeks? I left it in the Both position. Now, are you saying that if I leave the Sump Pump switch on and the Bilge Pump 3-position switch in the middle position (I've been leaving the Sump Pump switch off all the time because it apparently doesn't go anywhere (see comment below), I run the risk of an engine starter short to "on?" But doesn't the key have to be in the lock to achieve that error and if not, wouldn't that be the case no matter what I did with the output of the sump pump switch?

Jan 17, 2020
Hunter 326 Oriental, NC
Ron2034: My floor drain runs straight into the bilge. That is why I am installing a Rule shower sump with it's own pump, T'ing trough a backflow preventer to the output of the main bilge pump. I was in the process of fitting the hoses for that when I noticed the bilge pump was not going on automatically.

FOR ALL READERS: Is it a concidence that 30 minutes after I did this wiring job on the DC side, my main AC power went out?! I checked the voltage on the female (boat) side of the land power line even thought it's monitor light was on, and found very little voltage at the terminals. There was a darkish spot on the plug itself downstream from the monitor light. I swapped out the power cable - same result - then checked my schematic and discovered the reset switch in the back of the port cockpit lazarette. Flipped that back on - everything back to normal. I'm now going to swap back to the suspicious cable and see if that bugger shorted. I am assuming if so, it was not related to anything on the DC side. Comments appreciated. Thanks to Kouldi and Ron for responding so quickly! Really appreciate the help.

Quasi

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Kloudie1:I do not completely understand your comment. When you say, "Wouldn't wire brown to the panel because the 1-2 Both switch would have to be on for it to work." are you referring to the battery charge switch? What position should that be when I leave the boat for weeks? I left it in the Both position. Now, are you saying that if I leave the Sump Pump switch on and the Bilge Pump 3-position switch in the middle position (I've been leaving the Sump Pump switch off all the time because it apparently doesn't go anywhere (see comment below), I run the risk of an engine starter short to "on?" But doesn't the key have to be in the lock to achieve that error and if not, wouldn't that be the case no matter what I did with the output of the sump pump switch?
I can’t speak for @kloudie1, but part of the concern for me is that if the battery switch is set to off, your bilge pump won’t have power. So, wire it to the always hot lug on the battery switch.

I want to heat the rest of @kloudie1’s explanation about the runaway starter...’cause I always leave my panel hot, in the both battery position too.

Greg

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Bad info .. sorry.. not possible to have starter run away without instrument panel switch on.. Was thinking of a runaway while motoring.. My apologies for the brain fart..

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Bad info .. sorry.. not possible to have starter run away without instrument panel switch on.. Was thinking of a runaway while motoring.. My apologies for the brain fart..
It happens :huh:

Jan 17, 2020
Hunter 326 Oriental, NC
Just to let you all know, the power cord turned out to be just fine and it's been running after a reset switch hidden in the aft, starboard lazarette was reset. I'm going to return the spare my dockmaster lent me and hope it doesn't happen again. Getting battened down for the hurricane heading our way next week. Best wishes and thanks to all who helped. You guys (and gals) are the best!

Quasimotor in Oriental