Sump Pump for liveaboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

jilm4

Oct 11, 2007
- - Fairhope, AL
I live aboard an '84 C30. The water from my shower drains directly into my bilge which is never fully sucked dry, leaving water in the bilge making the boat stink. I was thought about installing a grey water box with a sump pump under the sink. Has anyone made this installation? Are there any suggestions?

Nov 12, 2006
Catalina 36 Bainbridge Island
Sump Pump

How is the gray water going to get into this "box" from the shower? You need to remove the water that the bilge pump can not remove each time. I keep the bilge stone dry on my boat, and that includes the shower sump (which is seperate on my boat (1993 C36)).

J

JIM B

CAN YOU PUT THE GREY WATER BOX

IN THE VERY FORWARD PART OF THE BILGE WHERE THE SHOWER BILGE DRAINS? I HAVE A 1989 C30. THE SHOWER DRAIN RUNS DIRECTLY INTO THE MOST FORWARD PART OF THE BILGE. IF THE SHOWER WATER DRAINED INTO A SMALL CONTAINER WITH A SUMP PUMP HOUSED IN THE FRONT OF THE BILGE AND THE DISCHARGE HOSE PLUMBED INTO THE HEAD SINK DRAIN? I DON'T USE MY SHOWER BECAUSE I DON'T WANT HAIR AND SOAP IN THE SAME PLACE AS THE BILGE PUMPS. PERHAPS ANOTHER ADVANTAGE OF THIS SYSTEM IS YOU NOW HAVE ANOTHER BILGE PUMP IF WATER IN THE BILGE RISES ABOVE THE HEIGHT OF THE "GREY WATER BOX". PLEASE LET US KNOW WHAT YOU END UP DOING AND HOW IT WORKS. THIS MAY BE SOMETHING I WOULD LIKE TO DO. GOOD LUCK! JIM B.

jilm4

Oct 11, 2007
- - Fairhope, AL
sump pump box

Yeah, I think I'll get a sump pump system from Boaters World or West Marine. It has a pump with a float switch. If it'll fit, I'll try to fit it in the forward edge of the bilge and probably just put a new thru hull under the sink.

Aug 31, 2007
Catalina 30 Petoskey, Mich.
unused through hull?

Jay, on my 85 C30 I have an unused through hull just forward of the engine and a little to the port. I am in fresh water and have no discharge system other than a pump out at the marina, so this one is not being used. I am not sure if yours is connected to something. Take a look. Dean, www.blowinganddrifting@yahoo.com

jilm4

Oct 11, 2007
- - Fairhope, AL
Thru hull for macerator

Hey Dean, I had the same one. That's where the discharge for the macerator outlet was. I don't have a macerator and used it for the inlet for the air conditining water. I thought about t'ing into the head discharge, but the more I think about it the best thing to do is to put a new thru-hull above the waterline under the sink. I'll do it when the boats in the yard in a month or two, I just really don't like the idea of having my shower water sitting in the bilge all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.