Summerize the boat

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
this is the antithesis of the winterization thread posts here every Fall. Many of us Summer -ize as it’s not uncommon for our boat to sit for a while during lightning season. It’s a little more complicated than putting her to bed up north as we can use the boat for various reasons and durations depending on weather so removing batteries, draining tanks, topping off etc... isn’t practical or needed.

So what, if anything, do folks do?

I make sure the A/C is tested and all plumbing lines clean, teak and acrylic covered, sails cleaned and rigging tensioned, deck and topsides waxed and a removable 0/0 cable from mast to ground (water). We also have a Siemens surge protector on the power panel on the dock. Summer here seriously interferes with sailing and golf.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
this is the antithesis of the winterization thread posts here every Fall. Many of us Summer -ize as it’s not uncommon for our boat to sit for a while during lightning season. It’s a little more complicated than putting her to bed up north as we can use the boat for various reasons and durations depending on weather so removing batteries, draining tanks, topping off etc... isn’t practical or needed.

So what, if anything, do folks do?

I make sure the A/C is tested and all plumbing lines clean, teak and acrylic covered, sails cleaned and rigging tensioned, deck and topsides waxed and a removable 0/0 cable from mast to ground (water). We also have a Siemens surge protector on the power panel on the dock. Summer here seriously interferes with sailing and golf.
I don't know... I think this was a subtle "nah nah na na nah nah" directed at our northern friends...:biggrin:

I hope to never have to winterize my boat again....

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
1) Double check the auto-inflate PFD's
2) Service all diesel engines.
3) Clean all strainers.
4) Verify instruments.
5) Stock the Galley with new cruising food.
6) Lubricate the Auto Pilot.
7) Pressure wash the boat
8) Update the Maintenance Log and file all new receipts.
9) Ready for July 4 cruise.

Jim...

PS: New cruising food available from Wally world....
Canned Edible Smoked Rattlesnake - Walmart.com
Breakfast of Champions over biscuits...
Rose Pork Brains in Milk Gravy - Walmart.com

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
In the days of old, you could spot the Canadians in Florida in the winter. They were the ones in the pool.