Suggestions on leak search?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 3, 2007
Seidelmann S25 Greenville SC
My 25 leaks a bit when underway. When in the slip, no water comes in at all. I have looked in the fore locker and see nothing. Nothing aft. Anyone have ideas where the water might be coming in and why only under sail? A typical easy four hour sail will bring in 4-8 gallons. A hard sail will bring more. Thank you in advance for any thoughts!!

Apr 3, 2007
My 25 leaks a bit when underway. When in the slip, no water comes in at all. I have looked in the fore locker and see nothing. Nothing aft. Anyone have ideas where the water might be coming in and why only under sail? A typical easy four hour sail will bring in 4-8 gallons. A hard sail will bring more. Thank you in advance for any thoughts!!

Apr 3, 2007

Apr 3, 2007

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
Tomcat, your leak is above the static water line

only happens when you sail and is worse when you sail hard. Consider that and search accordingly.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004

only happens when you sail and is worse when you sail hard. Consider that and search accordingly.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004

Ross

Jun 15, 2004

CalebD

Jun 27, 2006
Tartan 27' 1967 Nyack, NY
Does your galley have a sink?

Check the sink drain and if there is no valve on it there probably should be one as the sink drain should be closed when the boat is heeling over. Does your Seidelmann 25 have a head? Check all the hoses and valves. Is there a centerboard slot? Rudder post? Anchor locker on the foredeck? Stuffing box from inboard engine? Try going below while underway and heeling over (on both port and stbd tacks) and check these areas. Of course, you should make sure the bilge is bone dry before you try to test for this leak. Good luck.

CalebD

Jun 27, 2006

Check the sink drain and if there is no valve on it there probably should be one as the sink drain should be closed when the boat is heeling over. Does your Seidelmann 25 have a head? Check all the hoses and valves. Is there a centerboard slot? Rudder post? Anchor locker on the foredeck? Stuffing box from inboard engine? Try going below while underway and heeling over (on both port and stbd tacks) and check these areas. Of course, you should make sure the bilge is bone dry before you try to test for this leak. Good luck.

CalebD

Jun 27, 2006

CalebD

Jun 27, 2006

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Check...

Check and make sure you have a HIGH Point in your bilge pump line that is well above the water line, even when heeling. Many times owners replace bilge pump lines and run straight from the discharge through-hull to the bilge pump, with no high point, thus creating a siphon when the through-hull goes under water either under sail or power. To rule this out plug the bilge line temporarily and see if you still get the 8-10 gallons. 8-10 gallons is too much for a stuffing box so it's must be one of the through-hulls. My guess is bilge based on the limited info...

Feb 6, 1998
Check...

Check and make sure you have a HIGH Point in your bilge pump line that is well above the water line, even when heeling. Many times owners replace bilge pump lines and run straight from the discharge through-hull to the bilge pump, with no high point, thus creating a siphon when the through-hull goes under water either under sail or power. To rule this out plug the bilge line temporarily and see if you still get the 8-10 gallons. 8-10 gallons is too much for a stuffing box so it's must be one of the through-hulls. My guess is bilge based on the limited info...

Feb 6, 1998
Check...

Feb 6, 1998
Check...

G

gpeak

Had similar prob w/ my S-25

Had a similar problem w/my 25. Bilge pump outlet went to a T fitting on sink drain. Under hard sail water siphoned into bilge at about same rate as yours. Check your sink connections. S 25's will siphon!

Status
Not open for further replies.