Suggestions for wind indicator instruments

Mar 24, 2012
Hunter 34 531 East Patchogue NY
I just purchased a 1984 Hunter after owning power boats my entire adult life. I am new to this forum and to sailing (I have taken ASA classes so I'm not totally out of my mind) I'm looking for suggestions on wind direction/speed instruments. Everything I've come across on this forum is fairly outdated. Thank you!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Are You planning on racing? If not maybe start with the old school idea of tell tale ribbons on the sails, a stretch of yarn on the shrouds and if you must a Davis firefly on the mast head. You will build the skills of sailing the boat by the conditions not the instruments. It will keep you eyes on the horizon and around the boat rather then in the cockpit on an instrument or MFD. Novice pilots learn to fly planes under Visual Flight Rules, minimal instruments. Perhaps sailors can benefit from this concept.

Mar 24, 2012
Hunter 34 531 East Patchogue NY
I agree fully with the idea of learning to read the wind without instruments and intend to practice sans instruments but still wish to have that extra comfort level available.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
You can spend a little or spend a lot.
Wind surfers use a gauge they attach to their cell phones. vaavud 2 wind meter. Cost about $50. Plugs into phone provides speed and direction on free app that maps your location.
Or you can consider Garmin, Ray Marine, and others that are wired in the mast and attached to mast head. Annual maintenance and repair costs due to nature of parts used. Also requires in cockpit display. $300 to $1000 depending on your shopping and budget. Plus install costs.
Also Ray Marine has a wireless mast head transponder called a TackTick unit. Roughly $1400 plus installation on the mast head. Great if your mast conduits are full.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Congratulations on your new boat. There is great merit in jss's post. I'd sailed our own boats for 15 years without wind instruments, last 18 years with a boat with them. I find I can guess, within a knot or two,. what the wind is. I never bother with the direction feature, since I sail by the jib telltales going upwind.

But, if you want them, then have at it. Outdated? Hardly. You have two choices: wired or wireless. TacTic makes the wireless ones, search on that. The older ones had a poor history because of battery issues (why they put the battery at the masthead is beyond logic and reason). The newer ones have been reported to be better.

Your boat, your choice. :)

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
BTW, here is how we do it, it doesn't take decades to learn, see the chart. Most of us USA skippers use knots, Europeans tend to use "Force" from the Beaufort scale. The tricks are: wind speed is based on the white wave caps, wind direction is based on the direction of the wind waves.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beaufort_scale

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Don't waste money on a wind indicator that can't be set up to show TRUE wind data. That means it must have boat speed and direction input to make the calculation. You can find older instruments that do this...however.. they normally need to be hooked up to a proprietary instrument network. For instance, the older Nexus instruments work pretty well if you can find a wind and speed unit that can communicate. The problem with this is parts availability as the manufacturer phases out its support and inventory is depleted.

Quite frankly, whether you race or not is irrelevant. Having instant true wind data is a great advantage and convenience for the cruiser or day sailor as well. A wind instrument that only shows apparent wind data is less important and functional. We can install tell tales to trim the sails and a windex to find the sweet spot.... I like "shroud tells" .... heck I have all those things on my boat... and I use them all.

This biggest obstacle to upgrading my own system was cost.... just never could justify the expense when I knew I could figure out true wind with a boat compass and use the tell tails for everything else. When my boat budget got a little spike... a new wind instrument and chartplotter were my first investments. The wind sensor provides input to the chart plotter that uses its gps data to calculate true wind. So... if you have a budget of $1500 or so... I would install a NMEA2000 network compatible system into which you can eventually integrate other N2k instruments and sensors. For example, I have an vhf radio that transmits AIS data over the N2k network to my chartplotter/mfd, besides the sailing instruments.

Since you're starting from scratch here's an unbelievable package. It comes with all the sensors, the chartplotter acts as a multi-function display. You can also integrate auto pilot info, AIS data, audio, engine data, etc. into the N2k system and it can be controlled at the display...

Here's a package with a traditional instrument display....

B&G is part of Navico... which owns Lowrance and Simrad. You may find some of the same instruments under those names also... for instance the Simrad R35 vhf radio is the same as the B&G V50.

Garmin and Raymarine have similar packages... which many of the forum members will advocate and prefer. They all work well... so shop around. I only discussed the Simrad/B&G products because that's what I have.
The gist of my comment is: Invest in a system that will provide complete data and not become obsolete in the near future.

Last edited: