Suggestions 4 East Coast scenic spots

Nov 27, 2020
hunter 32ft Rochester, NY
Blessings Sailors,
I’m a content creator on YouTube (Sailing Yemaya). I’m traveling from NY to Florida by car and seeking to stop at marinas on the way down to meet other sailors along my journey. I own a 1976, Hunter 30 that I am refitting this year. My goal is to perhaps barter my photography/video services or drive someone to the grocery store for a boat ride or an extra bed. Seeking to take some phenomenal images of marinas, boats, lighthouses, sunsets anything that has do with boating. If you can assist in any way with suggestions, boat ride, an extra berth I can crash let me know. Thanks so much I really appreciate it. I have been fully vaccinated and I wear a mask daily.

Attachments

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Don't miss the Charleston Municipal Marina. A short walk to downtown Charleston and the Historical District, the Battery, etc.

Nov 30, 2020
Macgregor 22 Dania, FL
Everybody who is anybody in sailing seems to get to Harbor Towne Marina in Dania FL sooner or later. Nice place & nice people.

Aug 19, 2021
Hunter 280 White House Cove Marina
Here are some in Virginia.
Assateague & Chincoteague coastal barrier islands lighthouse, ponies and Wallops Island (NASA and SpaceX).
Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel
Tangier Island - It will not be around much longer
Cape Charles VA and the concrete fleet.
Fort Monroe, Fort Monroe marina
Naval Station Norfolk Virginia
Fort Story and Cape Henry light houses - They did not remove the old one when it was replaced.

Good luck

May 29, 2018
Canel 25 foot Shiogama, japan
Just subscribed. Looking forward to your adventures.
Greetings from japan.
gary

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
There are thousands of beatific places to enjoy between NY and FL. If you like U.S. Navy stuff, stop in Norfolk.

I have found Corolla on the Outer Banks very beautiful and in particular the Currituck Beach Lighthouse.
Currituck_Beach_Lighthouse_Corolla.jpg

There was also a great boardwalk through the swamp to the bay with water moccasins staring up at us as we passed above on the elevated walk, deer jumping across in front of us. All kinds of wild life. I even came across tracks in the sand that could only have been an alligator that the ranger at the nearby station said was impossible as there are no alligators in NC.

There are thousands of places along the coast. Charleston is another favorite, Savanna, Amelia Island North of Jacksonville, St. Augustine, but one of our favorites has been Merritt Island, for the birds. The buzzards will join you on the beach there if you're willing to give them a hand out.

-Will

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Either of the Beauforts would make good stops. New Bern is a sailing town, Oriental, St. Simons Island (Actually the marina on Lanier Island (Morning Star Marina), St Augustine (Comanche Cove), Cape Canaveral (There's a campground on the South Side of the Inlet), Ft. Pierce has good dockside downtown and of course Jensen Beach where moored boats may need rides to West Marine etc. Pt. Salierno has a number of Marinas as does Stuart (Sailor's Return Restaurant). South of the St. Lucie Inlet there are marinas on the Inter costal, One is associated with the Dive Bar (Not what you think). South of there is less travelled for me but you are getting into the Palm Beach area and more yachty. Riveria Beach has a large municipal marina.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Edenton, NC is a beautiful and historic town. Well off the ICW but reachable if you are not rushing your trip.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Just plugging in Rochester to Miami to see what route might be best, Google doesn't take you much along the coast until you are quite far south.

How long do you intend to take for this trip and what route do you think you'll likely drive?

Answers to those questions could help folk give more appropriate suggestions.

dj
1641142407436.png

• Helpful
Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Beaufort SC has a Downtown Marina that is a very short stroll to the historic downtown. There are two other marinas, one within walking distance of town (Lady's Island Marina) and one further from town (Port Royal Landing Marina). Both the Downtown Marina and the Port Royal Landing Marina are owned by Safe Harbor.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Google Maps will take you the "quickest" or most direct path but there are roads/highways right along the coast and/or ICW from Main all the way down if you are driving and taking your time. Highway 17 from Virginia and at least as far south as the Georgia-Florida line is not too far off the coast and goes nearby or through many small coastal towns. For Instance, US 17 goes right through Georgetown, SC (a very nice town to visit on the ICW) and goes right through Charleston where you can see the marina from where you cross the Ashley River. Then south of Charleston US 17 goes towards Beaufort (take US 21 South as a side trip to Beaufort SC) or continue south to Savannah Georgia. Like Charleston, you can see downtown Savannah and a marinia from the US 17 Bridge when you cross the Savannah River.

If you want fast, take the Interstates like the Maps programs. If you want scenic and coastal towns, use the GPS maps to get you along the coast and take sidetrips to the coastal towns.

Feb 2, 2010
Island Packet 37 Hull #2 Harpswell Me
You turned south instead of north, much nicer to the north of NY, particularly Maine.

Tater

Oct 26, 2021
Hunter 170 Lake Logan Martin AL
I have found Corolla on the Outer Banks very beautiful and in particular the Currituck Beach Lighthouse.
-Will
The Outer Banks has numerous lighthouses. Also add Bodie and Cape Hatteras.
I also agree with another post that the best is in the opposite direction. Maine is great. In October we started. by car, in far east Maine and stopped at Cape Hatteras. I lost count of the lighthouses.