Subwoofer search update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon W.

May 18, 2004
Catalina 310 C310 Seattle Wa
I haven’t made very much progress so far in adding a powered subwoofer to the boat. I’m trying to determine if I really want to spend the money and amperage to add some more punch to my boat sound system. So I’ve been experimenting by bringing my M&K 125 watt, dual 8 inch Subwoofer from home. This unit is a little overkill for the boat, needing to be plugged into 110Volts, weighing 40 LBS, and costing $700 on the street. I set the CD Player’s subwoofer output to on. Set the high and low pass filters to 125 HZ, to divide the sound between the Bose speakers and subwoofer around this point. At first I thought the Line level inputs to the subwoofer would not work because even with the sub gain turned all the way up, it was very subtle. I thought I might have to use the speaker level inputs and use the sub’s high pass filter to route sound to the Bose’s. Then I discovered a subwoofer level control on the CD player. It was set to 1 of 15. That solved the problem. The sound is good. On the boat, I’m interested more in decent power than absolute fidelity, especially in the cockpit. Environmental sounds tend to overwhelm the music in this area. I only put out the external Bose speakers when I’m going to be out for longer periods, like on a weekend cruise. So the interior speakers do fine for day sailing, even when listening from the cockpit. You do have remote control for your CD player don’t you? Anyway, down below the sound is very full, with tactile bass. I listen to a lot of blues music, where the bass is important. In the cockpit, the sound is very balanced, but still has good power. But outside the boat, the bass dissipates quickly. I think of the subwoofer as more of a vibration machine than a speaker. In fact it vibrates some panels, kind of like when the engine’s running. It needs to be loaded by surrounding surfaces to be really effective. The Bose speakers seem to really benefit from having the low base load taken away from them. I’m looking at a higher end Bazooka marine model or a Kenwood that I saw referenced in an earlier thread’ but I don’t know how they would perform. I want good output with low distortion like the M&K, but I’m not sure how effective these twelve-volt models are. I’m not looking for the “young guys in the small Honda thumping away at the stoplight” sound. I think the M&K’s maximum power draw of 1.8 amps (it has a two amp slow blow fuse) translated to 12 volts would be around 15 amps, and that sounds a little excessive for my batteries as a constant draw. Anyway, I agree, keep this forum going!

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Infinity makes a great powered sub..

The 10" infinity bass link sub is very nice for the money. One thing I would try is a lower high/low pass setting like 80hz vs 125hz. The Bose speakers should handle 80 cycles and a sub does not reproduce 125 very well as it becomes more directional the higher the frequency....

T

Traumaguard

JBL 6X9

I wish I had a picture to show you what I do and what I think works really well. I have two 6 X 9 JBL speakers in seperate boxes ( available at walmart) I set them in front of the companionway IN the cockpit. So you step over them to place your foot on the first step of the ladder down in the cabin. They are both wide enough that I never have to fasten them down. This way they are portable and I can place them anywhere just so the speaker wire reaches. I just set the wire to the side of the stairs and it stays out of the way. The bass is really good in blues and reggae. The receiver is a pioneer ( 4500 I think; 45 Watts per channel) w/ remote but just wired to two speakers. However, if you really want to thump you will need something else. Let me know what works I am having the desire to put a little more bass in my system. Also, here is a question for you. I just got a C30 and I am looking as to where to place the receiver so the remote will have an unobstructed signal from the helm. I think mirrors may work, any ideas?

Jon W.

May 18, 2004
Remote bounce.

Thanks, In the C310, I’ve had good luck pointing the remote control at the aft head compartment door and wall from the starboard side of the cockpit. This is a good-sized varnished surface and works even though the bounce angle isn’t correct. The CD player is opposite at the nav station. As to crossover frequency, I’ve tried 60, 80, and 125. You’re right, 80 works the best. I set the subwoofer cut off at 125 and let the CD player handle the actual limit of 80. It’s an alpine player CDA-7893 with 60 WPC. So it drives the Bose’s very well with the bass cut off. I will definitely consider the Infinity sub also. I’ve always liked the sound of their speakers. Looks like a good price at that link.

Jon W.

May 18, 2004
Wow, Missing Post

Looks like my response about bouncing the remote control signal off the head campartment door has disapeared.

Status
Not open for further replies.