Submerged 18.5 hp yanmar

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
So what is the recovery process for a 2gm20f that was submerged in saltwater for 30 minutes. The engine was not running when the mishap occurred. It was a friend's boat in another marina. I guess the alternator, starter and start battery toast. I am told that that dipstick had no water on it. I suppose the tranny fluids, well all fluids should be pulled and refilled. Fuel...20 gallon tank not full...polish it. It was a later model Hunter. Looking for some guidance. Thanks

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
Rinse it out several times with diesel fuel and dry out the starter an alt and replace all filters and bleed the fuel system also clean out the fuel tank and replace the fuel then put new oil back in clutch and engine and clean everything on the external parts of the engine and compartment make sure there is no water in the cylinders

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Things to consider: One or more intake valves will have been open and there is nothing to keep water out of the intake so one or two cylinders will have had salt water in them.. Alternator and Starter might be OK if rinsed thoroughly with fresh water and dried out (judicially applied compressed air blown and hair dryer).. Pull the air cleaner; remove the raw water pump belt ; Engine should be rinsed thoroughly with fresh and rolled by hand with the compression releases activated.. a water displacer, like WD-40 can be sprayed into the cylinders while the compression releases are "on" and the engine slowly rotated.. The crucial thing is that the work start immediately when the engine is removed from the salt water. If the dipsticks in engine and transmission show no water, that is great.. change those oils and the engine filter.. Get it running again as quickly as possible.. every hour not working is working against ya..

Jul 3, 2013
GBeneteau 380 Palmetto
15 years ago a Yamaha Tec. told me to do all of the above. When you start the engine have plenty of gas and run for as many hours as you can. He said the heat would dry out any salt water that could still be in the engine. If unable to clean the engine put it in a large garbage can or 55 gallon drum and cover with oil until you can clean it. He was talking about 2 stroke engines.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
15 years ago a Yamaha Tec. told me to do all of the above. When you start the engine have plenty of gas and run for as many hours as you can. He said the heat would dry out any salt water that could still be in the engine. If unable to clean the engine put it in a large garbage can or 55 gallon drum and cover with oil until you can clean it. He was talking about 2 stroke engines.
That's called Pickeling