Submarine Cables!!!!!!

jimlay

Jun 23, 2011
Hunter 450 Passage Ko'Olina, HI
OK--so the President was in town last weekend and they had a thing at the resort which is somwhat close to the beach that we normally drop the hook at so the kids can go swimming. We scooted down the coast about 2 miles further and dropped the hook on what we thought was a nice sandy area...in jump the kids and other pax for a swim.

My sister in law jumped in with a snorkel and mask and as soon as she did she came right up and said--Hey....you should see this, there are cables strung across the bottom at about 30 foot intervals all around here. With a sick stomach my wife swam ahead to where the anchor bouy (an absolute must in my book!) was and looked down the 22 feet to our BIG Plow Anchor and sure enough, there is about pointy 8 inches sticking out from under the bundle of cables and the chain is running about 20 feet along the bottom (covering another bundle of cables) before rising to the bow of my 45' Hunter.

ARGGGHHHHH!!!!

Needless to say this is where that anchor bouy comes in handy. I handed the gaffing hook to my wife and said, "I'm going to taxi the boat up the the bouy, you grab it and use it to pull forward, when the anchor is free we can raise the chain."

Worked like a champ!!

The cables were not on the chart at all, there was no sign or other marking on the shore, yet 10-20 bundles of cables lay there for all the world to catch.......... Sailing can be such an interesting and educational experience!

:)

Jimlay

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Probably not the same these days, but in olden days there would be a "harbor cable". It was supposed to snag the anchor of any ship that was drifting ashore- or more important- into the town's buildings.

Dave Groshong

SBO Staff
Staff member
Jan 25, 2007
Catalina 22 Seattle
Not saying you're wrong, but have you checked Notice to Mariners? Most yachtsman certainly don't correct their charts every week like the US Navy and Commercial Merchant's are required to do, but may be a fairly recent cable laying that came after the effective print date of the chart.

Nov 23, 2011
Blue Gallion 235 Driveway :(
OK--so the President was in town last weekend and they had a thing at the resort which is somwhat close to the beach that we normally drop the hook at so the kids can go swimming. We scooted down the coast about 2 miles further and dropped the hook on what we thought was a nice sandy area...in jump the kids and other pax for a swim.
EM detection cables, if the president was on the beach or staying right on the beach its possible\likely they had a seal team drop cables to detect ANYTHING in the water that would put out an EM field. (electromagnetic). That includes humans as well as large fish and submersible vehicles.

Glad you got your anchor back without too much fuss!

Jun 12, 2010
Oday 22 Orleans Marina, NOLA
EM detection cables, if the president was on the beach or staying right on the beach its possible\likely they had a seal team drop cables to detect ANYTHING in the water that would put out an EM field. (electromagnetic). That includes humans as well as large fish and submersible vehicles.
If that's the case why were they not intercepted? Doesn't do much good to set up detection and not followup when there is contact. They could have been Terrorists, or worse, Tea-Party members.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Hard to understand why those cables weren't charted, but I'm finding that a lot of things are done differently in Hawaii than they are on the mainland. I've been on Maui for a year, and I'm just beginning to learn some of the differences. Although, even on the mainland, not everything is perfect. In the spring of 2010, the boat I work on was hired to survey and map underground pipelines off the Mississippi/Louisiana coast during the oil spill. Apparently, the government wanted to dredge sand to put up a berm along the coast, but nobody had charts showing where the pipelines were. At least now we know where not to anchor off Oahu.

Feb 10, 2007
Hunter Legend 40.5 Coconut Grove, FL
I have laughed a lot Ken. Perhaps we hunter people either are invisible or they know we are good people!

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
Bainbridge Island Logging Cables "joke"

One boater told me an experience he had while anchoring in Manzanita Bay on the north end of Bainbridge Island (Puget Sound across from Seattle). They went there for an overnight and just anchored out.

At some point they heard some "knocking" sounds on the hull but didn't see anything or think anything of it at the time as everything seemed to be okay. However, when they went to weigh anchor they almost couldn't get the anchor up. Turns out it was "snagged" on an old logging cable.

Many of the nice quiet bays in the Puget Sound had log booms from the heydays of tree cutting and logging.

One thing they did notice was the boat "seemed" to be in a somewhat different location when they went to weigh anchor than when they anchored. When one swings on the hook, or the light changes from dusk to morning or daylight things look different.

Well, putting the pieces together, they feel a diver (probably some teenage kid from Bainbridge Island) relocated their anchor so that it went under the cable, tapped on the hull to get their attention and hoped to watch the show of them pulling the anchor up.

Some might call this a "joke", others might not seem this to be so "funny".

http://www.lat-long.com/Latitude-Longitude-1506454-Washington-Manzanita_Bay.html

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
This story may or may not be true...

...I doubt it. I first read it about 15 years ago...the writer is allegedly the master of a British freighter:

DONT PANIC- - -WRITE A REPORT!

The following report, from a ship's master is reproduced by kind
permission of the anonymous author who appears to be gifted with
remarkable sang froid.

[FONT=&quot]It is with regret and haste that I write this letter to you; regret that such a small misunderstanding could lead to the following circumstances, and haste in order that you get this report before you form your own pre-conceived opinions from reports in the world press, for I am sure that they will tend to overdramatise the affair.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]We had just picked up the pilot and the apprentice had returned from changing the "G" flag for the "H" and, it being his first trip, he was having difficulty in rolling the "G" flag up. I therefore proceeded to show him how. Coming to the last part I told him to "let go!" The lad, although willing, is not too bright, necessitating my having to repeat the order in a sharper tone. At this moment the Chief Officer appeared from the chart room, having been plotting the vessel's progress, and, thinking that it was the anchors that were being referred to, repeated the "let go" order to the Third Officer on the forecastle. The port anchor, having been cleared away[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]but not walked out, was promptly let go! The effect of letting the anchor drop from the" pipe" while the vessel was proceeding at full harbour speed, proved too much for the windlass brake and the entire length of the port cable was pulled out "by the roots." I fear that the damage to the chain locker may be extensive. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The braking effect of the port anchor naturally caused the vessel to sheer in that direction, right towards the swing bridge that spans a tributary to the river, up which we were proceeding. The operator of the swing bridge, showed great presence of mind by opening the bridge for my ship. Unfortunately he did not stop the vehicular traffic first, the result being that the bridge partly opened and deposited a Volkswagon, two cyclists and a livestock truck on the foredeck. My ship's company are at present rounding up the contents of the latter, which from the noise I would say are pigs. In his efforts to stop the progress of the vessel, the Third Officer dropped the starboard anchor, too late to be of practical use, for it fell on the swing bridge operator's control cabin.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]After the port anchor was let go and the vessel started to sheer, I gave a double ring "Full Astern" on the engine room telegraph and personally rang the Engine Room to order maximum astern revolutions. I was informed that the sea temperature was 53 degrees and asked if there was a film tonight. My reply would not add constructively to this report.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Up to now I have confined my report to the activities at the forward end of the vessel. Down aft they were having their own problems. At the moment the port anchor was let go, the second officer was supervising the making fast of the after tug and was lowering the ship's towing spring down on to the tug. The sudden braking effect on the port anchor caused the tug to "run in under" the stern of my vessel, just at the moment when the propeller was answering my double ring to "Full astern." The prompt action of the second officer in securing the inboard end of the towing spring delayed the sinking of the tug by some minutes, thereby allowing the safe abandoning of that vessel.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]It is strange, but at that very same moment of letting go the port anchor, there was a power cut ashore. The fact that we were passing over a "cable area " at the time might suggest that we touched something on the bottom of the river bed. It is perhaps lucky that the high tension cables brought down by the foremast were not live, possibly being replaced by the underwater cable, but owing to the shore blackout, it is impossible to say where the pylon fell.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]It never fails to amaze me, the actions of foreigners during moments of minor crisis. The pilot, for instance, is at the moment huddled in the corner, having consumed a bottle of gin in a time worthy of inclusion in The Guiness Book of Records. The tug captain on the other hand reacted violently, and had to be forcibly restrained by the steward, who has him handcuffed in the ship's hospital, where he is now, telling me to do impossible things with my ship and crew.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I enclose the names and addresses of the drivers and insurance companies of the vehicles on my foredeck, which the third officer collected after his somewhat hurried evacuation of the forecastle. These particulars will enable you to claim for the damage that they did to the railings of the No 1 hold.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I am closing this preliminary report, as I am finding it difficult to concentrate with the sound of police sirens and flashing lights. It is sad to think, that had the apprentice realised that there is no need to fly pilot flags after dark, none of this would have happened. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]For weekly Accountability Report I will assign the following Casualty Numbers.... T17501010 to T 1750199 inclusive. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Yours truly, (name withheld)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] MASTER.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
...I doubt it. I first read it about 15 years ago...the writer is allegedly the master of a British freighter:
Peggie - I'm sure it is a true story.

At first I thought it was written for a Laurel & Hardy or Three Stooges movie but the more read the more I thought someone couldn't just dream this up and it must have been true.

The kicker was the part about breaking the underwater power line and that is something that most comedy writers wouldn't think of.

.... on the other hand,.... given time maybe someone could dream this up.

So maybe it is fiction.

After all, some British script writers are pretty darn good at writing stuff like this so maybe we should consider the source.

Nov 23, 2011
Blue Gallion 235 Driveway :(
If that's the case why were they not intercepted? Doesn't do much good to set up detection and not followup when there is contact. They could have been Terrorists, or worse, Tea-Party members.
True, it was just a hypothesis! :p

jimlay

Jun 23, 2011
We had already been intercepted

A couple of replies to the thread.......

We had already been intercepted by the Coast Guard who were motoring around in the secure area and decided that as we were passing around the perimeter they would come pay us a call. They had large zodiac style boats with twin engines, a cabin for the driver, and a 50 Cal. up front. Funniest thing I heard that weekend was my daughter, who seeing the captain of one of the vessels said "Hey--He's HOT!!!"...this about a guy with a 50 Cal aimed at you ;-).

The cables were quite obviously old and well beyond the patrol area, so I doubt that they were in use. A thought that I was most likely able to confirm through my contacts at work. I say most likely because I couldn't identify which set of cables they were to the communications expert I was talking to.

Hope all is well!

Jimlay

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
Gee...I've never given much thought to whether it's a true story or not...I just think it's funny. Guess not....
i too thought it was funny in a brit sorta way ...i always love to hear there sarcasim when telling about things that happen.....there were two demolition technitions defusing a 500 puonder in brighton ...one said to the other ...ya know two blokes over in manchester were doing this and set the damn thing off....killed 371 people that day....the other fellow said ...now that couldnt happen here now.. could it ....the other asked how so ....the other fellow said ....well there is only two of us here mate.....;)

regards

woody

Feb 25, 2010
Catalina 30 Long Beach
Dumping ground

Being a TT in the Coast Guard, sounds like the cables were dumped there. I remember dumping scrap cable in the 70's. The BM decided where to dump. I didn't pay much attention to if the location was charted as a dump area, but I have seen them charted. Good call on the anchor trip line. We often pulled up fouled anchors and chain when repairing cables.

jimlay

Jun 23, 2011
jimgreen;

Funny that you should mention that.....on the chart there is a location not too far from that place that has a clear label that says "automobile dumping ground". It's in the Coast Pilot as well.....out on the Waianae coast.

Aparently the catching of underwater cables is not that unusual--some folks at work here mentioned that Japanese fishermen were constantly severing the cables until they figured out where they could put them the the hook wouldn't catch 'em. The nets that they drag along the bottom must have an affinity.....

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
It would seem in this economy, and with the price of copper, someone would be interested in salvaging dumped cables. Clean up the bottom and make a buck at the same time.
BTW, there is talk here in Maui of an undersea power cable to be built from wind turbines on Lanai to Oahu. You wouldn't want to be hung up on that cable!

Feb 25, 2010
Catalina 30 Long Beach
That stuff was worthless. It started with three conducter #6 aluminum wire with 1/2" thick rubber Insulation then wrapped in several layers of tarred jute and twine and creasote three to four inches thick, then wrapped in twelve steel armour wires, each the size of a pencil. It weighed 5 lbs. a foot and took about fifteen minutes to cut with a hacksaw.