Stuffing box packing

Bob Mc

Apr 7, 2012
Catalina 28 Worton Creek, MD
I am getting ready to re do my stuffing box. Any thoughts on Flax vs Gore, Graphite, Teflon products?

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
I used the Goretex product and have been very pleased with it.
Allows for the most minimal of water drip while still keeping shaft cool. If it wasn't for the air conditioners discharging condensation I would for all practical purposes shaver a dry bilge with the goretex packing.

Apr 2, 2011
Catalina 27 Niceville, FL
I have had the same GTU packing for 6 years. No leak at all static. Stays moist under way with maybe a drip every 5 minutes. Stuffing box stays cool. Biggest plus is that it can be changed out with the boat in the water without removing the shaft coupling.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
I am getting ready to re do my stuffing box. Any thoughts on Flax vs Gore, Graphite, Teflon products?
If using ANY graphite impregnated packing be VERY, VERY sure you have at least an Aquamet Aquamet 22 shaft. I would NOT recommend the use graphite impregnated packing on bronze shafts. If the shaft material is an unknown SS I do not use graphite packings.

Graphite is the most noble element on the galvanic scale and using graphite packing can lead to accelerated zinc erosion and localized galvanic damage to shafting. Like the photo below..

This was ONE YEAR of graphite packing in a stuffing box on a vessel with a bronze shaft. The corrosion was localized to right under the packing. As can be seen the shaft had dezincified and was literally FLAKING off in CHUNKS... No amount of adjusting was going to stop this drip....;)

Consider this:

* Under the ABYC standards graphite impregnated packings are disallowed

* Western Branch Metals, one of the largest shafting suppliers in the world says:

"
The use of graphite-impregnated packing is not recommended because of the possibility of galvanic corrosion of the shaft material."

and under - "Installation": "Do not use graphite packing in the stuffing box"

Use graphite packings at your own risk and please inspect for corrosion yearly, if using it.

Please be careful when using graphite packings and understand the electrical/galvanic parameters that can lead to corrosion. When one of the largest shafting manufactuers in the world says, "Do not use graphite packing in the stuffing box" please pause to consider why they say that, and what other options you may have.Graphite packings are GREAT performers but with that performance come other issues.Like everything in life things are often a trade off.

• Helpful

Bob Mc

Apr 7, 2012
Catalina 28 Worton Creek, MD
Thanks everyone. Always good to get others experiences, opinions and knowledge. And thanks Maine Sail for the in depth information.

May 11, 2013
Catalina 34 Clinton
I fNOT GTU or Graphite packing, what is recommended? I am going to repack my Catalina 34 which has a bronze shaft.