Stuffing box packing size?

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rich

Does anyone know the size of the shaft packing for a Seidelmann 30 with a 1 inch shaft? I'd like to purchase the right material before taking on the project. Many thanks and good sailing to all!

B

bill w.

stuffing box packing

i dont know the packing size per se but if you can measure the o.d. of the stuffing box with a vernier caliper and subtract the shaft diameter you will get the thickness of your packing. we use this method on pumps so it should work for a prop shaft. hope this helps.

Jul 10, 2006
- - Jax,Fla
Packing Size,etc.

Rich; The size is correctly stated by Bill W.;It is the difference between the shaft and the inside lip of the packing nut.On the 1" shaft of my 34 that would be 3/16"......same for any 1" box.I also would use Teflon packing as opposed to the older flax(wax) packing[costs a little more-but worth it].Less likely to score the shaft if over tightened.You can get away with no drips using Teflon...but normal is 2-3 drips per minute.After running my engine for 3-4 minutes in gear at the dock, I feel the stuffing box...if it is hot you are too tight.Hope that helps? Cheers-CaptHawk s/v RogueWave

Status
Not open for further replies.