Stuck Stove Valve

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Force 10 Gourmet Four Burner Range

You know how the range valves push in to light and spring back easily? One of mine has just become stuck/sticky. I don't know why.

What causes this, and how can I fix it?

Thanks,

jv

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
JV.
Just guessing here, the spaghetti sauce boil over catastrophe of summer 2011 was the initial cause. The sugars in the sauce mixed with the acid in the tomatoes being used in the sauce coated the shaft of the knob to start the problem. From there it just went down hill. Trying to clean up there were some fibers from the cheap paper towels used. These fibers clinger to the knob shaft.

Through the years of frying bacon grease and ‘mal de mer’ build up the unit finally gave up and decided to stick.

My suspicion is a liberal amount of degrease cleaner, a tooth brush, paper towels and perhaps a fine pointed metal pick will help to free the shaft/knob from its unfortunate condition.

pictures are always helpful.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Thanks, @jssailem , but I'm not generally a fan of spraying stuff in or scraping with sharp objects. If I need to disassemble it, so be it. But I'd like to hear from others who've seen this and fixed it.

It happened quite suddenly, that's what I find puzzling.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
A little benign solventy-luby like WD40 will help.. spray a little where the shaft enters the housing and exercise it a bit.. "usually" caused by a little vegetable oil or animal oil (like a bacon fat drop) oxidizing slowly into a gummy stuff.. the WD 40 (or equivalent) should clear it after a little exercise..

Oct 22, 2014
This changes the conditions.
  1. One of mine has just become stuck/sticky. I don't know why.
  2. It happened quite suddenly, that's what I find puzzling.
Condition 1: a combination of goo that regularly accumulates on the shafts of these units and requires cleaning,
Condition 2: something has become stuck in the interior workings.

The outside cleaning is the easy first step. The Occum's Razor solution... paraphrased "the simplest solution is most likely the right one".

With this new and more exciting element to the puzzle, breaking out the tool box and disembowelment of the range sounds more exciting.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Well, I took a good look at it, and there's quite a bit of crud there. Not sure what it is, must be what you two have suggested. I sprayed the tiniest bit of PB-Blaster onto the shaft, and it ran in. Worked it a bit and it seems fine now.

Will put on the list to disassemble and clean all the valves.

Oct 22, 2014
Sounds like a worked out solution to a sticky problem. I am happy for you.