Stuck Prop On Shaft

Jan 4, 2013
Catalina 270 Rochester, NY
I have a 1996 Catalina with a 1" bronze shaft and a bronze Flex-O-Fold prop. I decided to remove the prop and I had one hell of a battle getting it off, using a prop puller, even though it's only been on for 3 seasons here on Lake Ontario. My question is there something I can put on the shaft such as anti-sieze that would allow an easier removal in the future? I understand the taper fit is what keeps the prop from spinning on the shaft not the key.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
A proper prop puller works by tightening it up as much as you can, then hitting it on the nut with a small sledge hammer, and the prop should just pop off. If it doesn't, heat the hub of the prop and I assure you it will just pop off.

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
Use some Tef-gel when you put it back together which will hopefully make taking it off next time easier.

senang

Oct 21, 2009
hunter 38 Monaco
Use heat to get the prop off.
1 undo prop nut by ONLY 2 turns.
2 install prop puller and tighten.
3 heat up prop around the shaft
4 prop will JUMP off, but is retained by the nut
If the nut is not installed you have a deadly projectile crossing the yard!

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
If the nut is not installed you have a deadly projectile crossing the yard!
LOL! Good advice on the nut. Actually, at best it’ll travel a foot or two. But you don’t want it to have a hard landing on the ground (or feet) either, as it might damage the prop.

Mar 29, 2017
Hunter 30t 9805 littlecreek
I wouldn't want to put anything between prop and shaft to keep a good electric bond to boat to avoid electrolysis

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
I wouldn't want to put anything between prop and shaft to keep a good electric bond to boat to avoid electrolysis
OP said he has a fle-o-fold prop, which generally have the anode attached to the hub. That will protect the prop even if it’s disconnected from the boat. I suppose the shaft wouldn’t be well protected if there isn’t a good connection to the prop and its anode.

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
Whatfiero1 said:
"I wouldn't want to put anything between prop and shaft to keep a good electric bond to boat to avoid electrolysis"

Tef-Gel does not interfere with electrical flows, from their website:

Tef-Gel™ protects electrical connections from corrosion by creating an air tight barrier that will not allow moisture to be drawn in to the connection thus creating corrosion. Its unique properties will not impede current. Tef-Gel™ applied between electrical contacts does not increase the resistance of the connections even at hundreds of amps.