Stuck oil filter Yanmar 3YM30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 25, 2008
hunter 33 stamford
Skinned knuckles today. Tried to remove the oil filter from a Yanmar 3YM30. Ending up bending the filter wrench and scraping the paint off the filter, but couldn't get it to budge. There's not much room in there to get good leverage either. Does anyone have any pointers on removing a frozen oil filter? thanks.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 28.5 Tolchester, MD
With the engine cold, first put a drip pan or paper towels below the engine at the filter; then take a reasonable sized Phillips head screw driver and drive it completely thru the oil filter. this should give you the leverge to spin it off, but be sure to examine the gasket area and scrape off any burned on gasket that may have caused the issue in the first place.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Sounds like you really have a stuck one ! The screwdriver will probably tear the casing when you try to twist the can off.. but that is worth a shot if you have some access. it will be messy ! I had one that I had to remove by striking the base with a chisel after ripping off the case doing the screwdriver attempt.. If you have sparse access, a ratchet driven band wrench may be useful ; like this but smaller to fit your filter case http://www.amazon.com/Filter-Wrench-Truck-Heavy-Diameter/dp/B0035M90K6 Probably can get one at NAPA auto parts.. be careful to get the band close to the base so the shell doesn't collapse. NOT FUN.. A strap type wrench like this http://www.amazon.com/FRAM-SP3443-O...5?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1300712992&sr=1-55 will also work but again, make sure to get teh strap as close to the filter base as possible.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
birn, I know the 3YM30. Since same problem on my friend's H33 with 3YM30. There isn't much space to swing a band/chain oil filter wrench. Alan has the right tools for you. That will work great every time. Just make sure you hand-screw the new filter in and not use this cap wrench.

Oct 28, 2005
Hunter 31 Portage De Sioux, MO
The wrench Alan is suggesting works well. But will slip once the casing is squeezed in. We use them in our service center everyday. The Phillips head screwdriver would be the last resort to use in my opinon. The casing can tear on you and now you have a jagged edge of metal to deal with. Not good. Understand there isn't much room to swing the wrench. If you can, try a large pair of channel lock pliers, if room permits. You only have to move it just a little at a time. There is another filter wrench that we use that has steel jaws on springs, that tighten when you turn it on a 3/8 rachet. Works great for this situation. We get it from either Snap On, Cornwell, or Matco. If you haven't gotten it off, I will see who has it and get back to you. Follow the other sailors advice in replacing the new one. Hand tighten only. Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.