Stuck Macerator Pump Valve

May 25, 2016
Hunter 340 New Orleans, LA
Any advice on getting a stuck macerator pump valve to open without breaking it. It probably hasn't been operated in several years.

Thanks!

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
It's most likely the impeller that's stuck to the inside of it's housing 'cuz it wasn't rinsed out before it sat unused.. The instruction "manual" includes instructions for freeing it. Jabsco Macerator Pump owner manual Replace the impeller...even if it doesn't break when you free it, that may have cracked one or more vanes, but even if doesn't do that, the impeller has to be worn.

However...if it's been sitting for several years, I'd just replace the macerator pump. For one thing, the rubber parts in it will have dried out and become brittle... For another, it has a sealed motor, and when electric motors sit unused for years, all the lubrication in them settles, leaving the motor vulnerable to corrosion. So you're likely to free up the impeller only to find it leaks or won't run...or both.

May 25, 2016
Hunter 340 New Orleans, LA
Thanks for your reply. I believe the macerator pump is working fine. It is the macerator discharge valve (ball valve) located at the discharge thru hull fitting that is stuck. Any advice?

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Thanks for your reply. I believe the macerator pump is working fine. It is the macerator discharge valve (ball valve) located at the discharge thru hull fitting that is stuck. Any advice?
So your problem has nothing whatever to do with the macerator pump. It's actually the seacock on the thru-hull that just happens to be the one through which the macerator pump discharges that's stuck. Now that we know what the real problem is, you'll have a better chance of getting the help you need.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
@XDMusic - You may want to re-write your original post (using the edit option under the post) so that folks are not confused about what you are asking. You can't edit the title of the thread, unfortunately, but you could ask a moderator to do that for you.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Be very careful if in the water and will need to be taken apart and freed up if that is possible.
A trick I found out from my diver is put a plumbers plunger the half red type with out the long handle and it will seal the thru hull water tight and than you can work on it and maybe spray PB Blaster for a few days to free it up.
Nick

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
If you know the name of manufacturer they have a "cut away" view of the valve. There are several "low risk" ways to allow freeing up of the internal valve parts without significant leaks.
On my type, there are two "packing glands" and if they weren't so cheap, I would rebuild the internals for about half price of a new one. One gland is at the valve stem and the other on the big side of the valve body.

Doing what Seadaddler said in his post#6 would allow easy replacement while afloat.;)

BTW his plunger idea also works to test a new thru hull while on the hard. Just screw in a garden hose fitting to where the handle went, after making a 3/8th inch hole in that red plunger head. Get the water flowing at just the "cracked position" and press the plunger against the boat and observe the new thru hull inside.:biggrin:
Jim...