Strut Removal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2007
2 -1980 30T Nahant
Strut Removal Seidelmann 30 T Haul out this fall revealed a loose strut on my boat. This explains a lot of the vibration from the engine during the season. I had a local mechanic check out the engine at winterization. He decided to pull the engine in order to work on the drive train, while he replaced the mixing elbow. It’s the original 2QM15, which runs fine, despite the excessive vibration. While the mechanic replaces the engine mounts, propeller shaft and exhaust parts, I was left with the chore off removing the strut. Working from W. Kittredge’s post on shaft strut removal I began grinding away. I found 16” straight tapered bronze arm with three holes drilled at about 1 ½ " intervals. One of the screws had partially worked out of a hole, the other was missing the head if it had one. I ground out one side of the arm only, leaving the other side, hopefully to have for resetting with new screws. The mechanic will set the strut while he aligns the engine with the new mounts. I’ll be building back the epoxy of a series of build ups as the cut to remove the strut is very deep. I hope this info helps any other 30T owner with a loose strut. Larry Connolly

S

Skipper

While I have never had a problem with either my S30T of 17 years or my S34 currently, I am going to file this info in case it is ever needed. I appreciate this type info. Thanks, Skipper PROMISES S34

Aug 9, 2005
Beneteau 373 Baltimore
i glassed in my loose strut

i also have an s37 and the strut had about 1/8-1/4" play. I ground out the gel coat down to the fiberglass about 12" fore and aft from the strut and made an /epoxy/cloth fairing all around the strut to about 1" above the cutlass bearing. Maybe about 10 laers of cloth on each side. Seems to have worked ok so far.

D

David Utzschneider

photo of glassed in strut

see attached photo of glassed in strut

S

Stephen Parfet

Thanks for the photo

My Strut is starting to move a little bit and suck up water. Your photo allowed me to better understand what was going on inside the skeg. I have drilled three holes on either side to let the area dry out and then will inject some west system into the holes to set the strut. A lot easier job than grinding the whole thing out.

Status
Not open for further replies.