Strut lubrication?

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
I was lubricating my Maxprop Classic today while the boat is out of the water. While doing so I noticed that there are two setscrews in the strut exactly like the setscrews on the Maxprop.

I was under the impression that the strut bearing (cutlass bearing) is lubricated by water, not greased. I am assuming that the setscrews are there to secure the cutlass bearing rather than as a place to grease the bearing. Am I correct in that thinking (water lubrication) or do you need to "grease" a strut bearing?

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
The set screws keep the bearing/bushing in place which in the strut, with my wakeboard boat, was completely unnecessary. It took a press to remove and install.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Thanks, just wanted to confirm that. Just wanted to a make sure.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Yep water lubricated. The set screws keep the cutlass bearing from spinning.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
The set screws keep the bearing/bushing in place which in the strut, with my wakeboard boat, was completely unnecessary. It took a press to remove and install.
I am assuming that you replaced them? It almost always takes a tool (press) to remove (and install) the cutlass bearing. Sometimes they must be cut out or heated to be removed, but the set screws are still mandatory.