Stroke of genius or act of lunacy?

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
If they can ship a truck over via that method (not sure if it is currently allowed), why not a boat ? It's not a pleasure trip, it's product delivery.
A few months back, there were a lot of posts from Canadians either wishing to have their boats or a newly purchased boat returned to Canada. Apparently, they couldn't ship them by truck. That is what I based my post on.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
A few months back, there were a lot of posts from Canadians either wishing to have their boats or a newly purchased boat returned to Canada. Apparently, they couldn't ship them by truck. That is what I based my post on.
Strange. apparently at least one local dealer here was having no issues with shipping both used and new boats (and other recreational equipment) over. Supply of new equipment is another story. They sell faster than they can get them.

Nov 13, 2013
Catalina 34 Tacoma
Sounds very doable and possibly legal. When government gets stupid and victimizes innocent people for the sake of theoretical victims, you have to be inventive.

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
Strange. apparently at least one local dealer here was having no issues with shipping both used and new boats (and other recreational equipment) over. Supply of new equipment is another story. They sell faster than they can get them.
Although trucking is definitely something that could be looked into. I would probably reserve that option for a boat that would be transported to a permanent destination. Lets assume in this case that the boat will be brought back to her current slip in Canada once the border opens. Unstepping a keel stepped mast, placing the boat on a carrier for a 2 hour ferry ride, across the border and mast restepped has a lot costs attached to it. It would be a proverbial kick in the wallet if the border happened to open in July or August.
So I am still putting a lot of hope on my crazy idea. But I am not sure where to start. What office has the power of approval?

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
But I am not sure where to start. What office has the power of approval
I would contact US border services and they may be able to point you the right way.

Be nice if there was a sailor here who worked there.

It would be a proverbial kick in the wallet if the border happened to open in July or August
Would be truly amazed if that happened.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
What office has the power of approval?
Another way to ask this question is: Once across the border (not boarder!!! - for some who continue to do this, but not here, right?) where and how does one check in? IIRC, their boat is US documented, legally imported into Canada and still flies the US flag. But crossing the border in and of itself, requires them to check in with US Customs, say at either Roche (nice) or Friday (horrible).
So, once we get the boat into their hands on the US side, what do THEY do?
I think that's the question they have to answer.

Would seem that that "investigative work" would be something they could and should be doing, like with a telephone, from wherever they are.

Apr 3, 2020
Hunter 23.5 Frenchtown, MT
First option is already negated: Don't advertise the loophole, or the intent to use it.
Second option: stop talking about it, and do it. 10 yrs from now swap stories with your buddies over a beer, maybe with a bonfire on a nice beach somewhere.
Third option: Record video, upload to YT and wait for some bored border patrol agent to decide he wants to board your boat and investigate (Possibly make a few bucks of the video, and more if you include any possible arrest footage). :)

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
Would seem that that "investigative work" would be something they could and should be doing, like with a telephone, from wherever they are.
Well it is either "investigative work" OR "painting work". It seems to have been an exceptionally long winter and I as much as I enjoy detailing my boat, I deplore all (as in every) aspect of painting. Therefore I chose the former.
Stu I agree I have planted the seed. It seems that there has not been a plethora of SBO members that have attempt said crossing; but, the post did generate some thought. However, I have gone as far as I should. I will back away for now and pass it over to the crew of S/V Kagán.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I think your idea is inventive. I would be curious as to how it would be treated. If the CBP has a sense of humor I would think they would have a good laugh, check that the boat is free of contraband and send you on your way. Then there are the sticklers and brown nosers who would suggest to the manager that they throw the book at you and the keys away.

It bears some more research. Sounds a bit like the dropping of floating cases of booze during prohibition and their recovery south of the line by folk expecting them.

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
If the CBP has a sense of humor I would think they would have a good laugh, check that the boat is free of contraband and send you on your way. Then there are the sticklers and brown nosers who would suggest to the manager that they throw the book at you and the keys away.
The proverbial turkey shoot. I wonder if it’s possible to confirm who is on duty at Roche Hbr that particular day, the easy-going agent or hard-ass agent? I am thinking that the question wouldn’t go over very well regardless who replied to the ROAM call.

• Ha
Oct 22, 2014
I think You got that right.
Stu is pretty familiar with the US CBP there. Maybe he could put in a good word.

You know the Catalina folk are talking about a rendezvous at Sucia Island in May. It is on the south side of Boundary passage. May be we could all do a sailors parade and somehow in the middle the Canadian boat got confused with the US boats.

Jan 7, 2014
Beneteau 45F5 51551 Port Jefferson
How about you tie a rope to the bow and fly a drone with a fishing line attached to the rope to the American side. Then your friends pull the fishing line and then the rope and then pull the boat to the American side.

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
How about you tie a rope to the bow and fly a drone with a fishing line attached to the rope to the American side. Then your friends pull the fishing line and then the rope and then pull the boat to the American side.
Well I do have a drone. Have not attempted to fly it yet. Maybe now would be a good time to learn.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
That sounds fun... I’d probably build a potato gun

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
So getting back to something semi-serious... some sort of line launcher might be better. I don't fully understand the nuance of the laws but.... seems like with a line launcher, the boat is never "adrift" and there is no salvage issues at play.

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
So getting back to something semi-serious... some sort of line launcher might be better. I don't fully understand the nuance of the laws but.... seems like with a line launcher, the boat is never "adrift" and there is no salvage issues at play.
I will pass the baton over to my American friends and as much as I love to do battle with bureaucrats, I let her have the fun. If I learn anything more about my wacky idea I will add it to this thread.
Thanks to all for your sage advice and out of the boxes ideas. Hopefully more to follow.

Oct 22, 2014
It is relatively easy to offer advise when your not the one running the border with two excited border patrols, monitoring the water crossings like hawks and eagles.

They have those high speed boats with 50Cal machine-guns on the front. Chasing down a couple of yachties would be sport.

My concern is they might compete to see who can capture and retrieve the boat for confiscation.