stripping cetol from teak

Jan 12, 2024
sabre sabre 30 jersey city
hi all , does anybody have the best technique for stripping that stuff? does it react to heat gun and scraper like varnish or is sand paper in my future. i plan to re-apply. youtube hasnt coughed up much on this subject

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
I'd like to hear an answer as well.
My concern is that Cetol has pigment in it that, like stain,
may not respond to the normal, heat gun and scraper techniques.

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
Thanks jssailem.

I saw this response on the thread you referenced:

Re: Removing Sikkens Cetol or HLS
I use Citris-Strip to remove Cetol from parts I can take off the boat. It's a gel and you leave it on for hours and let it work.....low rate of evaporation. Works great and probably does not cause brain tumors. Clean up with water.

I'll study up on the thread as the weather warms up! ;)

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
I have used "Te-Ka" for decades. Cleaner Kit - 1 Quart Each A & B | West Marine
I have a blog entry with some pix over on the Ericson owners site.

Sep 4, 2005
- - Sausalito
What? The entire reason I've used Cetol these many years is that you Never have to strip it off or do any sanding. Scrub it clean with some mild soap and a brush and then dash a few more coats on. Doesn't it say that right on the can?

CJE
---------

hi all , does anybody have the best technique for stripping that stuff? does it react to heat gun and scraper like varnish or is sand paper in my future. i plan to re-apply. youtube hasnt coughed up much on this subject

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I'd like to hear an answer as well.
My concern is that Cetol has pigment in it that, like stain,
may not respond to the normal, heat gun and scraper techniques.
It is not a stain, just a vapor permeable coating with lots of solids in it which obscures the grain in the wood. The original Cetol had a very objectionable orange tint. The current flavors of Cetol are less objectionable.

The only advantage to Cetol is its permeability. It allows vapor and air locked in to the wood to pass through it which helps to prevent the finish from lifting off the wood. Polyurethanes and more traditional varnishes are not permeable, so water vapor and air in the wood will cause the finish to bubble and crack, allowing more moisture into the wood which causes more bubbling and cracking.

Using Cetol can provoke some strong sentiment about varnish devotees.

Jan 13, 2009
J Boat 92 78 Sandusky
Bought a boat with a ton of teak. Previous owner had used Cetol and it hadn't been maintained. Used a Bahco carbide cabinet scraper and a heat gun. Definitely faster and more efficient than sanding. Used 1 step cleaner and brightener then Star Brite teak sealer. Matte natural finish. No film buildup.

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
I have some Japanese cabinet scrapers, 3 straight blade and 2 curved blade, that were very handy for last year's project of removing old chipping and peeling cetol from my teak steering wheel. (which has taken a huge amount of time . wish I'd read this thread before then. )