Stripe Tape Removal

• Thread starter Louis Phillippi
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Louis Phillippi

How can I safely remove old, chipped and faded stripe tape?

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Foto Forum

Louis: Take a look at the Foto Forum. I did a little foto shoot of my stripe removal. Quick and easy. I even show you the tool for you to use.

M

Mark Waggoner

Tape Removal

I had the same question last year. When I bought my 28.5, the old name just had to go. Also, the side stripes were pretty banged up. I tried goo-off, then lighter fluid but only had a big mess. Then I bought a heat gun on advice of the name decal people. Used a small putty knife or scaper and it worked like a breeze. Had to develop a feel for it so it peeled off instead of melting and still had to touch up a little with goo-off, but it really turned out great. Almost dropped the gun (while plugged in) in the water however, so I would do it when hauled next time. Also, the Hunter people in Florida sent along new stripe to me and it really looks nice.

J

Jeff

Heat Gun Works

I second the heat gun idea. I removed a srtipe on my H30 with a heat gun, it came off very easy. I also used some oven cleaner to remove the adheasive. Jeff

T

Tim Op't Holt

New Stripe tape

After the removal of the old stripe ( I used goo-gone and a razor blade), the real trick is to put the new tape on without bubbles. Here's how I did it. The boat was in the yard. I made a jig out of a piece of 5/4 decking, and drew a line on the hull representing the bottom of the new stripe. I set-up a catwalk along the side of the boat. Then, with the assistance of my wife, we used a four-hand procedure. She sprayed the hull with a soapy water solution and peeled the backing off the tape. I followed by placing the bottom of the tape along the pencil line, then using a squeege, got most of the soapy water out from under the tape. We were very pleased. We ended up with a 3" stripe, followed by two 1" stripes, alternating in burgundy and silver, to match the bimini and sail covers. People thought it was a new boat!

A

Allen

I second the rubber wheel

I started with the heat gun and it will work fine as long as the sun has been beating down on the stripe for a while. If its in the shade, a heat gun will turn out to be a nightmare. I used the rubber wheel as Steve indicated and the job came out much easier and left no residue for the new stripe. As a professional sign maker, I highly recommend it. As for the new stripe, make sure you do a wet application as Tim has suggested.

M

Michael Mathis

3 Times a ....

I vote for the rubber wheel. I did my stripe on a 87 28.5 and it was a piece of cake. Started off with all the other ideas and they would work however, it would be a lot more work. Did the whole job in about an hour. Good Luck. Mike Mathis

Status
Not open for further replies.