Streaks on bottom paint

shank

Apr 20, 2016
Catalina 27 5231 Lake Champlain
Hello, I have a 82 Catalina 27 which I applied a new coat of VC 17 bottom paint to. I've noticed that after a rain I'll see some white streaks or stains that bleed down from the topsides all over the bottom paint which is pretty ugly and ruins my paint job. (I should have taken a "before" picture which shows the stains but I didn't). What are the white stains - wax, oxidation? How do I prevent it and/or clean it? I tried cleaning it off with just soap and water but it didn't work. Thanks

Attachments

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I don't see them in the picture. Regardless, once you splash her no one will see them.
If you have oxidation that bad you may have to go thru the whole process of restoring your gloss.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
The streaks are typical of what you will see when the boat is on the hard. Probably oxidation from top sides. I've never tried to clean it. The bottom will be underwater, so I don't care what it looks like. The streaks might not show up once the bottom is wet.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Don't worry about it. Once it's in the water it will come off when your diver wipes it down monthly.... or if no dive service, the algae will cover the streaks in a month or two. :banghead:;)

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
VC17 (and the cheaper West Marine equivalent) activates in water. What you are probably seeing close-up (which we really cannot see in the picture) is the activation of streaks of that as rain water runs down the hull. Usually, it turns darker though. Original colored VC17 in the water looks almost black - sorry, you don't keep that "new penny" look.

@Joe - Lake Champlain boat - no diver needed in cold fresh water. At the end of the season (5 month max) they'll pressure wash the slime off when they lift, and it will be good as new. Wherever he missed the bottom paint (say the top of the rudder or inside the speedo, you can scrape off the zebra mussels with a screwdriver.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
VC17 (and the cheaper West Marine equivalent) activates in water. What you are probably seeing close-up (which we really cannot see in the picture) is the activation of streaks of that as rain water runs down the hull. Usually, it turns darker though. Original colored VC17 in the water looks almost black - sorry, you don't keep that "new penny" look.

@Joe - Lake Champlain boat - no diver needed in cold fresh water. At the end of the season (5 month max) they'll pressure wash the slime off when they lift, and it will be good as new. Wherever he missed the bottom paint (say the top of the rudder or inside the speedo, you can scrape off the zebra mussels with a screwdriver.
Oh, wouldn't that be nice. :)