Strait of Juan de Fuca

YVRguy

Jan 10, 2013
Hunter 34 Vancouver, BC
For our BC and Washington State brethren:

Later this year my buddy and I are planning a trip on our H34 to the San Juan Islands and on into the Strait of Juan de Fuca (or Juan de Puka as some like to call it). We thought we might go as far as Neah Bay. The idea of this is to get a little taste of the open ocean without being too committed.

I've heard it can be rough in the Strait. Does anyone have any thoughts about this trip? We're still fairly new at this (2nd year owning our boat) so we don't want to bite off more than we can chew...

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
A good way to find out the conditions in the Strait is to listen regularly to the VHF weather broadcasts. Should give wind velocities and sea heights. If it were me I'd look into working my way NW in the lee of Vancouver Island, perhaps from Anderson Cove near Sooke to Mill Cove, then time a crossing to Neah Bay on a NW wind during a neap flood tide in the morning, b/f the 30+ kt winds kick in. So, you'd have to find the right day. Also, might need a working (No 3) jib. However, I have not made this crossing myself.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
That crossing can be really uncomfortable when the wind is up and flowing opposite of the current.

Late in the summer (August) you can also run into bad fog.

I have always done it in the morning, early, before the wind comes up as it seems to do every afternoon. Also check the the forecast and tide tables to make sure the wind and current and running the same direction.

That said, your 34 should be able to handle anything you run into, short of outright storm conditions. But if you get it wrong the crossing can be a _very_ unpleasant experience.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Phil's right. We regularly "sail" on the COHO from Victoria to Port Angeles. In 15 years, have only had one rough crossing. That boat leaves Victoria early in the morning. One alter afternoon crossing from Sidney to Anacortes on a different ferry, our car, which was on the forward end of the open car deck, got more salt-water on it than the bottom our our boat in our slip since 1982!!! :):):)

VHF, weather, weather, weather. What's so hard? :) Unless you wanna bang your head against the wall, wish there was an emoticon for that on this board. :):deadhorse:

Howzatt? :D:D:D

Also suggest you put away your 155 genoa, forget furling it, learn to reef on the go and try this, which comes from this very board, and from skippers up your way:

A very illuminating and interesting discussion on co.com for those of you who might be in the market for a new jib.

http://forums.catalina.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?t=155362

Please read all three pages. Enjoy.

Have a great trip, Neah Bay is lovely this time of year (just like the Bronx - thanks to Robert Kline https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgR6zFkMXT8

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Ditto on Phil. Can't stress it enough. Have done it several times. you don't want opposing wind and tides. If you make it to Neah Bay, consider sailing across to Barkely Sound and spend some time there. Well worth it.

YVRguy

Jan 10, 2013
Hunter 34 Vancouver, BC
Phil's right. We regularly "sail" on the COHO from Victoria to Port Angeles. In 15 years, have only had one rough crossing. That boat leaves Victoria early in the morning. One alter afternoon crossing from Sidney to Anacortes on a different ferry, our car, which was on the forward end of the open car deck, got more salt-water on it than the bottom our our boat in our slip since 1982!!! :):):)

VHF, weather, weather, weather. What's so hard? :) Unless you wanna bang your head against the wall, wish there was an emoticon for that on this board. :):deadhorse:

Howzatt? :D:D:D

Also suggest you put away your 155 genoa, forget furling it, learn to reef on the go and try this, which comes from this very board, and from skippers up your way:

A very illuminating and interesting discussion on co.com for those of you who might be in the market for a new jib.

http://forums.catalina.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?t=155362

Please read all three pages. Enjoy.

Have a great trip, Neah Bay is lovely this time of year (just like the Bronx - thanks to Robert Kline https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgR6zFkMXT8
Stu, thanks for your witty and informed response. I hadn't thought of checking the weather. Seriously, I am a relatively new sailor but I'm obviously going to watch the weather closely, via VHF and other means. My query was more looking for local knowledge as I've heard - weather aside - that Juan de Fuca can be challenging at times. I suspect my experience might be a little different than your car ferry trips but I will infer that it can get rough at times. The reminders about wind vs tide on the other hand, were quite helpful.

Unfortunately the forum doesn't have the appropriate emoticon for this reply :)

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
My query was more looking for local knowledge as I've heard - weather aside - that Juan de Fuca can be challenging at times.
The weather IS the challenge, unless there is a lot of shallow water; or reefs, rocks, or strong currents around that you might fetch up on or have to avoid. Close examination of the charts will help with that!:doh:

Jun 5, 2012
Catalina 30 mkI Victoria, British Columbia
I've done the trip from Victoria up the Strait to Barkley, etc a number of times now. Every time it's a different experience weather-wise....but one thing has always been consistent. I had to motor for the first two days. Vic to Port Renfrew and Renfrew to Barkley. It has been glassy calm and 30deg, calm with pea soup fog and blowing a near gale. Typically the winds funnel down the Strait, so if you are heading over to Neah you might 'just' be able to point.
If you are set on Neah, that's great, but what about clearing back into Canada in either Sidney or Victoria's Inner Harbour, then hitting Barkley. Heck, I live in the town and STILL think spending the night on the docks in front of the Empress hotel is magic!
You also wouldn't be disappointed if you chose Barkley. The last two times I have been, the humpback whales have come (on their own accord) right up to the boat. I'm headed there again this summer...
Enjoy, it'll be exciting no matter what you decide.

Two other quick thoughts -
1. I'm sure with your boat you will be OK, but note that in the US you are required to have (and use) a holding tank.
2. Don't stress too much about JdF. Living in Vancouver you will have already been exposed to quite comparable weather, waves, currents, etc in the Strait of Georgia.

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
Summer can be a rough time to go to Neah Bay

Going in the summer can be tough because that is when the days start to get warm and the fog is frequent. The warm land mass inland will suck the cooler ocean air inland and The Strait becomes a wind tunnel. Oak Harbor gets clobbered.

Another situation is when there were gale force winds the day before and you're westbound but there are left over swells coming at you from two directions and no wind. Yuk! But the problem is in the summer it is often really foggy in Port Townsend. What do people do? They sit there (in the marina or at anchor) until the visibility improves but by then it is almost too late. If the visibility improved it is because the wind started to arrive! Now it's too late!!!

However, maybe one can go in legs - Port Townsend to, say, Port Angeles, and work one's way up the south shore. John Wayne Marina is a good intermediate place but difficult to anchor out because the locals have taken all the good spots. Frankly, while we've circumnavigated Vancouver Island, been to Barkley Sound and Tofino many times, and Alaska, we've never been to Neah Bay, but not because of the weather - because that is where the Coast Guard has a station.

What's wrong with that, you ask? I've heard a lot of horror stories - that's where they put their trainees. So? Well, guess what trainees do, they inspect little pleasure boats! Down to every last detail. Personally, I'd prefer a Homeland Security boarding party 'cuz you never know what the other guys will come up with.

Crossing the border:
Barkley Sound is a nice place to visit. It can get pretty windy because it is pretty well open to the Pacific but there are numerous places to anchor, not all hurricane holes though. Bamfield is interesting but it has been developed. Ditto with Tofino, nice but many of the good anchorages have been taken over by fish farms. They're everywhere. I've been told one can tie up to them but ... no thanks.

Before crossing from one side of the Strait to the other, make sure there is a Customs and Immigration check-in place. Since the US has cut their budget this was one of the first on the chopping block. Roach Harbor is the main clearing point and Port Townsend by appointment (a PITA). Neah Bay? I don't think is a clearing point. The Canadians, on the other hand, have numerous places where one can clear but the main one is in Victoria at the inner harbor and also the one on Pender Island. Once you're in their system, the other places work well (RVYC, Cadboro Bay, etc.).

One recent trip we had coming back from Barkley Sound started out in reasonably thick fog and then the wind picked up but it was still thick fog. The Canadians were going to do military exercises on the north side of the Strait and we could hear aircraft overhead, see ship targets on the radar, the bright sun ball through the fog, but visibility forward was terrible. Winds kicked up to 40 kts, we were doing 10 kts through the water, and in the early afternoon put in to Sooke because I was too tired to continue to Victoria. What a white-knuckle sleigh ride. You sure wouldn't want to have been be going the other direction.

We like Sooke. Neat place.