Stowe anemometre

51RD55

Jul 13, 2015
Hunter 31 Toronto
Hello All,
My husband recently purchased a used set of STOWE instruments for our boat. The boat currently has STOWE instruments, but is missing the mast head anemometer. The screens on two of them are quite crazed and almost impossible to read.
Saw these at a Marine Supply Yard Sale and got them all for $20.00 and they are in much better shape, all functional yet we are still missing the anemometer.
The cable is in place and all we need is this component. Any leads on where I can get one of these other than ordering from STOWE Marine in the UK. Apparently they are not very co-operative with giving out advice, they charge $125.00 per hour for consultations that end up in their suggestion to purchase from them. Thank you.

Jun 28, 2016
Hunter 23.5 Paupack, PA
Damned British. I just peeked at their website.

http://www.stowemarine.com/mastheadunit.htm

The boards are, "Hand-made here in Lymington." Indeed. Unless they are carving them from the HMS Victory or something, it just means they haven't got enough volume for pick-n-place.

Ok, I just found a used one on eBay for 150 post Brexit pounds, or about $253.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STOWE-WIN...ed-tested-warranty-repair-yours-/231592640346

I would keep searching, you might find one cheaper in Canada or somewhere. Just inquire from seller if it will connect to your receiver. Good luck.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
I noticed on the Stowe website that their anemometer is compatible with other common manufacturer's instruments. That being the case, what is the likely hood that an Airmar anemometer would work? Airmar seems to be the maker of choice as a sending unit for other brands. Just maybe that would be an option.

51RD55

Jul 13, 2015
Hunter 31 Toronto
Thanks Doug. My brother-in-law who is technician is thinking the same way as well. We are having trouble finding the Airman on the web. One marine salvage dealer in Ontario that my husband spoke to said that he gets the one we are looking for every year and they sell quickly. He is going to see if he has one in at the moment. If not, next spring he said he'd had some.
Gordon - the refurbished one from England will only ship to England and of course STOWE sent us the e-mail - "blah, blah, blah...we can sell you one!". No surprise there. Didn't answer any other of our questions. LOL

Jun 28, 2016
Hunter 23.5 Paupack, PA
Ouu, sorry about the "D" British comment, that was certainly in jest. Being of British decent, I feel like it's ok to drop the "B" word - heh - heh, you know. But now those French - that's a different story - haaar!

I know the inner workings of the Davis Instruments ProVantage combo is a simple 20k pot for direction, and a radial magnet rotating past a reed switch for speed (yup, one pulse per rev). It's right around 100 USD. The electronics are virtually free, so the cost must be tied up in the materials and construction. I am working on this problem from another angle, but if I discover anything I'll drop you a line.

51RD55

Jul 13, 2015
Hunter 31 Toronto
Gordon - I figured that you were British and that's why you took licence to make that comment in jest. I myself am French and do the same - "but that's a different story"! LOL
We are looking at NASA (from the U.K.), and they have a distributor in Canada, and around the corner from the club where our boat is. They also go under the label CLIPPER here. The wind instrument with the anemometer is $550.00 before taxes. The marine yards as well as Chandleries are telling us that it is almost impossible that we will find a STOWE anemometer in good, used condition. Because it has a one year warranty we plan to purchase in the spring when the boats get launched.