Stove for 1981 O'Day 28

Aug 31, 2020
O'Day 28 Fair Haven, NY
1980 ODay 28 (6).jpg

Hello, I am a new owner of a 1981 O'Day 28. I apologize in advance if I am not posting to the correct forum for this question. I would like to learn what stove came with my 1981 O'Day 28 because the mounting box is still in the boat and I would like to understand how the original stove mounted before purchasing a new one. I have used alcohol stoves a good deal for backpacking and fondue, so I would probably be very pleased to locate and buy an original stove. From what I can gather from this forum and others, it is likely to have been a Seaward Hillerange, Optimus Princess, or Dometic Origo. It looks like the original stove (or at least the gimbal bracket) allowed the gimbal to be locked and released using the knob shown at the bottom of the mounting box. The Stansport stove shown in the mounting box came with the boat, and I suspect it was never used on the boat as it is not practical - at least without the cutting board in place. Do you know what stove fits in the frame shown? Do you have one for sale? I would love to identify the correct stove/range, and buy one. Thanks for your help! Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Sean McClain

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
In 85 they were using Hillerange in a box like that, but without the locking knob -
D5221697-39E2-4811-9097-AABC68953D8F.jpeg

That was a pressurized alcohol stove, and lighting it was always, ummm, exciting.

Aug 31, 2020
O'Day 28 Fair Haven, NY
In 85 they were using Hillerange in a box like that, but without the locking knob -
View attachment 185055

That was a pressurized alcohol stove, and lighting it was always, ummm, exciting.
Haha! Thanks David. It looks like the Seaward Hillerange would fit my mounting box. Do you have any pics of the mounting brackets (maybe a pic of the stove with the cutting board off)? Maybe I would do well to find a set of the brackets.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Haha! Thanks David. It looks like the Seaward Hillerange would fit my mounting box. Do you have any pics of the mounting brackets (maybe a pic of the stove with the cutting board off)? Maybe I would do well to find a set of the brackets.
Sorry, that’s about the best picture I have since we moved on to a different boat a few years ago. From what I remember the stove had a metal “ear” on each side, half way back, and ears hung on the studs that are in the sides of the box. The cutting board rested on the other 4 studs higher up.

Aug 31, 2020
O'Day 28 Fair Haven, NY
That's excellent. Thank you for the info. I think I'll start by fabricating a cutting board and keep searching for a stove while I learn more about it.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@seanmcclain Welcome to the forum. Congrats on finding your boat.

Other than the urge to put into the boat what was an "OEM" product from 1981, have you considered what type of cooking grill best serves your sailing activities?

In some cases of boat ownership your needs to meet your sailing activities may indicate an alternate idea might be a better fit.

As an example, when your boat was designed diesel stoves were not a popular idea on small sailboats. Sure some "BIG" yachts had them, but there was not a small footprint diesel fuel cooktop manufactured.

A few years ago Wallas changed that, Swedish ingenuity. They designed and built a diesel cook top that can serve as a cooking unit or/and as a boat heater.

Cooktop
1600445711291.png
Cooktop/Heater
1600445770146.png

These innovations bring improved safety to our boating lives.
It might be an idea if "replacement with 1981 designs" is not important.

Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
Trust me, you do not want an original pressure alcohol stove. I spent the first two seasons when I got this boat missing out on a tan because I was below deck trying the get the thing to work, even with part after part added. We finally went to an Origo 2 burner, making a cradle out of the bracket old parts (yes, locks and unlocks) and have never looked back. (That's me polishing it with a German Polishing Soap.)

Attachments

Aug 31, 2020
O'Day 28 Fair Haven, NY
Trust me, you do not want an original pressure alcohol stove. I spent the first two seasons when I got this boat missing out on a tan because I was below deck trying the get the thing to work, even with part after part added. We finally went to an Origo 2 burner, making a cradle out of the bracket old parts (yes, locks and unlocks) and have never looked back. (That's me polishing it with a German Polishing Soap.)
That's excellent! Do you happen to have any pictures of the mounting brackets? It would help me to see how the old stove mounted if I have to make a new mounting bracket. Even if the old stove did not work well, it would be helpful to reuse as much of the hardware as possible to avoid the need for me to fabricate new brackets. It sounds like you may have done just that!

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I didn’t think Origo was in business any longer.

Maybe the OP can find a used one, but I don't think they are In production any longer. I had one (Non-gimbaled
) in a previous boat. They are safe and pretty simple.

As an alternative, a gimbaled propane stove, without an oven would fit in that area I think. I have propane on my current boat and like it.

Greg

Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
Yes, I heard Origo was gone, but maybe some used ones out there. I also had a propane unit which is ok, though not as safe in my view, at least if you have an external tank and lines, you can get a leak.

Aug 31, 2020
O'Day 28 Fair Haven, NY
Thanks for all the replies. I was hoping to get better news. From the opinions I've heard here and other places, it seems that sailors universally despise and fear the pressurized alcohol stoves. I have not found one recommendation to make do with a pressurized stove. For those who distrust gas and it's sneaky ability to blow up whole city blocks with the flick of a light switch, the only option seems to be alcohol (or some sort of wick in a can that holds combustible fluid). My misfortune is to be thrifty and risk-averse in a time when the Origo stoves are not easily found. I also don't want to add a propane locker to my boat, or convince my cook that she can cook meals for five on a single burner propane stove. I want a stove that fits our boat, has two burners, moves on a gimbal, allows for pot holders, meets ABYC safety standards, and doesn't take me a lot of time or money to install in our low-budget 39-year-old boat. A non-pressurized alcohol stove will ring all those bells if I can find one. If not, I may still take my chances on an old pressurized stove after practicing with it outside. Can it really be worse than my grandfather's pressurized white gas lantern from the 1960s?

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Looks like you've eliminated everything but a grill on the rail or a brick fire pit in the cockpit.

Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
Quote: Can it really be worse than my grandfather's pressurized white gas lantern from the 1960s?

Probably - More parts to break or not work right I think.

Aug 31, 2020
O'Day 28 Fair Haven, NY
It's not worse than pressurized white gas because it's not gasoline.
That was my thought too. I have used pressurized white gas, propane, butane, and unpressurized alcohol stoves. I don't expect the pressurized alcohol stove to be an uncontrollable hazard. I would prefer the Origo stove if it were available. In its absence, the original stove from my boat looks like a lot less work to install and no real downside compared to the available options. I hope I can find one. It was probably the Optimus Princess.

Aug 31, 2020
O'Day 28 Fair Haven, NY
Yeah. I hope to find an Origo 3000 used at some point, but for now I located a Princess pressurized stove that looks like it has all the hardware to drop directly into my boat with no modifications needed. All for $50. I'm pretty pleased for now. I'll see how it works when it arrives. The present owner says it worked well for her. I was able to download instructions and found that lighting is similar to old backpacking stoves from the 70s. It is advised to preheat the burner with the regulator turned off before lighting the burners, and to allow the priming charge to burn off completely before lighting again. I can see how that might cause a flareup if not followed exactly. I used to use a Svea backpacking stove that had the same instruction.

Oct 20, 2014
O'Day 23-1 Lake Champlain, Vermont
View attachment 185051

Hello, I am a new owner of a 1981 O'Day 28. I apologize in advance if I am not posting to the correct forum for this question. I would like to learn what stove came with my 1981 O'Day 28 because the mounting box is still in the boat and I would like to understand how the original stove mounted before purchasing a new one. I have used alcohol stoves a good deal for backpacking and fondue, so I would probably be very pleased to locate and buy an original stove. From what I can gather from this forum and others, it is likely to have been a Seaward Hillerange, Optimus Princess, or Dometic Origo. It looks like the original stove (or at least the gimbal bracket) allowed the gimbal to be locked and released using the knob shown at the bottom of the mounting box. The Stansport stove shown in the mounting box came with the boat, and I suspect it was never used on the boat as it is not practical - at least without the cutting board in place. Do you know what stove fits in the frame shown? Do you have one for sale? I would love to identify the correct stove/range, and buy one. Thanks for your help! Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Sean McClain
I believe that one or more of the original O'Day stoves have been offered for sale (or free?) on the O'Day Facebook group. See Facebook Groups

Aug 31, 2020
O'Day 28 Fair Haven, NY
I believe that one or more of the original O'Day stoves have been offered for sale (or free?) on the O'Day Facebook group. See Facebook Groups
That is awesome! I didn't know there was an O'Day FB page! Thanks for the link. Believe it or not that is the one I bought, but I did not find it on FB! Thanks again for the link!

Oct 20, 2014
O'Day 23-1 Lake Champlain, Vermont
That is awesome! I didn't know there was an O'Day FB page! Thanks for the link. Believe it or not that is the one I bought, but I did not find it on FB! Thanks again for the link!
Glad that was helpful. The O’Day FB group is excellent and quite active.