Stove Cover

Jan 25, 2007
Cal Cal 33-2 cape cod
I improvised a server tray by removing handles, then used it to cover stove for more counter space...when the lightbulb went off. How about a custom, serving tray/mosaic compass rose or design counter top. Handles face down to lock on stove top, flip over for cutting board/serving tray? Thoughts?

Attachments

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Sound functional.

if it also fit over the sink to expand counter space when cooking and could be used as a cutting board, even better.

I need to make something like that.

But first, I want to make some dividers for my chart desk…stuff just spreads all over in there. I cleaned it out this week, but need to make some wooden dividers to keep things contained.

Greg

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Sounds attractive and functional. Weight might be an issue with all the ceramic tile, grout, backerboard and cutting board.

But first, I want to make some dividers for my chart desk…stuff just spreads all over in there.
I have some plastic desk organizers, quick and easy from Staples.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
I improvised a server tray by removing handles, then used it to cover stove for more counter space...when the lightbulb went off. How about a custom, serving tray/mosaic compass rose or design counter top. Handles face down to lock on stove top, flip over for cutting board/serving tray? Thoughts?
I have a cutting board that fits over my stove. Two in fact. I ended up never using them over my stove. I find when I'm cooking, I'm also using to stove most of the time. I ended up using them just as cutting boards/ food prep surfaces in other places in my boat - mainly the main saloon table.

You may cook differently than I do. If you think you will have it in place most of the time, might be an idea. But I'd probably keep it simple. If your stove is gimbaled, look carefully at weight distribution such that the stove still gimbals correctly with it in place. I have found that function to be very useful.

Just my 2 cents worth...

dj

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
That sounds like a great project. The cover on my stove fits fairly snug around the surrounding counter. This keeps things from slipping down around the edges. It looks like your stove is a bit higher than mine, but could you get it to fit closer to the fiddles on the sides and the backsplash?

20200621_160551.jpg
The cover on my stove fits snug

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
You need fiddles. I would loose the high-handles.

I've had trays to cover lockers (double as lids) , but I'm not getting covering the stove.
  • I use it.
  • I can't put the tray on top until it cools.
  • Is there a storage space for the cover where it is not in the way?
My current boat came with a stove cover. I keep it at home because it is just in the way. And it doesn't have fiddles, which BTW, will get in the way when you are trying to figure out where to store.

I would reconsider whether this actually helps, or if it is just another thing to store that will clutter up the boat. Maybe you don't cook much.

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
You need fiddles. I would loose the high-handles.

I've had trays to cover lockers (double as lids) , but I'm not getting covering the stove.
  • I use it.
  • I can't put the tray on top until it cools.
  • Is there a storage space for the cover where it is not in the way?
My current boat came with a stove cover. I keep it at home because it is just in the way. And it doesn't have fiddles, which BTW, will get in the way when you are trying to figure out where to store.

I would reconsider whether this actually helps, or if it is just another thing to store that will clutter up the boat. Maybe you don't cook much.
Everybody has their way of doing things.

We cook a lot but also often use the wooden tray that goes on the stovetop. It provides much useful "counter space" when the stove is not in use. Great for makng sandwiches or a cheeseboard and the like. I can put the board on the stovetope almost immediately after turning off the stove The fiddle rails around the stove holds the board in place. The gimballed stove keeps the board pretty level and at the point we would need separate fiddles for the board we would not be using it. When we are using the stove the board fits handily beneath the oven.
We have another board that fits over the sink and is held in place by small feet. It also stores easily under the oven.
Both serve well as cutting boards.
All good as far as I'm concerned.

I would agree about loosing the handles. I think those would be in the way.

Mar 26, 2011
Everybody has their way of doing things.

We cook a lot but also often use the wooden tray that goes on the stovetop. It provides much useful "counter space" when the stove is not in use. Great for makng sandwiches or a cheeseboard and the like. I can put the board on the stovetope almost immediately after turning off the stove The fiddle rails around the stove holds the board in place. The gimballed stove keeps the board pretty level and at the point we would need separate fiddles for the board we would not be using it. When we are using the stove the board fits handily beneath the oven.
We have another board that fits over the sink and is held in place by small feet. It also stores easily under the oven.
Both serve well as cutting boards.
All good as far as I'm concerned.

I would agree about loosing the handles. I think those would be in the way.
Good points.

The reason for fiddles it that such a tray is also handy for serving, at which time it will NOT be on the gimbals.

I feel the same way about sink covers. Just slows me down.

As for sandwiches and cheese, a separate, small cutting board is much easier to clean.

(My notes are not as much from the trimaran in my avitar, but from an earlier cruising cat. But the choice was the same on both. The tri came with such a cover, but the only people that use it don't cook.)

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2011
This sort of tray I found more useful (covers a locker by replacing the lid--out of sight is a fixture that holds it in place underway--dual purpose).

Jan 25, 2007
Cal Cal 33-2 cape cod
Excellent points. Trays with fiddles = good idea. I removed other handle & when using stove it fits over the sink. New boats I noticed have snug sink covers. This was the motivator last year I saw this setup @ the Newport boat show... actually my wife saw it and said "that would be nice." And so I set to work on my old boat to bring it up to date.

Attachments

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
I don't have a picture of mine but it is a tray with fiddles and handles. I made it from left-over teak and holly flooring and some solid hardwood for the fiddles and handles. The bottom has a rim to secure it to the stove so it is never displaced when sailing.

We use it to load up snacks to bring up to the cockpit and it's generally a catch-all countertop that secures small items when sailing. It's never in the way for cooking because it will normally be in the cockpit then. It can be stored behind the stove, which is generally locked while sailing. We never use it as a cutting board since we don't want to mar the surface. We just have a varnish finish, nothing hard. We use the plastic sink cover as a cutting board.

We don't cook very much and never while sailing so the tray is never really displaced or in the way of anything. In short, I would leave the handles on unless you need absolutely flat counterspace. But preferences always vary!

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
How do you deal with the all important pot holders? I assume you would have to remove the 4 of them prior to putting the stove cover in place.
1715269773477.png

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
The cover on my boat is OEM. It fits over top of the stove and pot holders and has two latches to keep it in place when installed. When using the stove the cover slides back and down behind the stove supported on rails. The cover does not have fiddles because it fits fairly snug with the fiddles on the surrounding counter. The latches are barrel bolts attached under the cover so it is not useful as a serving tray since it would rest on the latches when set down.

Mar 26, 2011
When is an upgrade not actually an upgrade? Sometimes we just want to "do something for the boat."

In the OP's example:
  • No fiddles. It may not need fiddles on the gimbled stove, but it will wherever you take it, so you can't take it anywhere, so it doesn't need handles. Or it needs fiddles, because it is a serving tray. Both just makes it bulky and wastes space.
  • If it is on the stove that precludes cooking. If it is a serving tray, you need to be able to plate food from the stove. Where are the pots?
  • It isn't a cutting board. One less use. A plastic or wood cutting board would serve a purpose. But if you are cutting while you are cooking, it won't work, so scratch that.
  • If you don't cook on board (several said that) then you don't need the counter space. Sort of ... obvious. You don't put "stuff" on counters on a boat.
  • A sink is never a catch-all. You learned that at home. There should be a separate bin or fiddled tray for that. "Stuff" should have a place. Covering the sink doesn't help, because then it is not accessible. And you need a sink to cook.
  • The ice box lid is open, consuming counter space. But the ice box is only open for moments at a time and will be closed while preparing the meal.
I've had three boats and never felt any urge to cover the sink or stove. I've been on many active cruising boats, and the sink and stove are always accessible, just like at home. I like thin cutting board that are easy to clean and stash.

Jan 25, 2007
Cal Cal 33-2 cape cod
Thin water, you are making too much common sense, less is indeed more. Here is where I have left the project…. Basically, a cutting board on top of stove., stows behind stove when not in use. wife likes it. Not really necessary, because I have a small cutting board that fits over sink, stows in ice box, when not in use. Thanks everyone for input, boat goes in water this weekend & sail we will.

Attachments

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
The cover on my boat is OEM. It fits over top of the stove and pot holders and has two latches to keep it in place when installed. When using the stove the cover slides back and down behind the stove supported on rails. The cover does not have fiddles because it fits fairly snug with the fiddles on the surrounding counter. The latches are barrel bolts attached under the cover so it is not useful as a serving tray since it would rest on the latches when set down.
This pretty much describes the setup we had on our J/36. Out of the way when you're using the stove but ready to increase counter space (and hide any dirty stovetop) when you need it. Not as pretty as the OP's idea, but unless there's a good way to stow it, a cutting board or serving tray that big is going to be a problem in the cabin.