Storm Party

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 15, 2009
Vancouver 32 Portland/Falmouth
On the hard and glad of it?

I rode out a hurricane at anchor near Fall River in 89. And on the docks in New Bern in 03? Glad not to be in it again. Good luck to all of you and your craft.

It will be interesting to see what the Bounty Captain was thinking eh.. lots of people put at risk for no clear reason.

Again best of luck to all.

BobT

Sep 29, 2008
Gulfstar 37 North East River, Chesapeake Bay
Our barometer at home (16 miles north of the marina) is now 3 millibars lower than the lowest point of Irene last year. Currently 965. That's 5 points in the last hour.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Latest report has the bounty sinking, the crew rescued from a life raft and two crew in survival suits missing with the coast guard still searching for them. Survivors were taken to Elizabeth City. Supposedly they were 90 miles southeast of Hatteras so somewhere a little south of Cape Lookout. Hard to believe they didn't duck into the Chesapeake Bay when things looked like they were deteriorating and storm track was heading right up the coast.

dugout

Nov 15, 2008
Pearson P33 Maryland's Famous Eastern Shore
Lots more surge on the Chesapeake than I thought we would see with all this north wind.:confused:
This one will leave a mark.:cry: Over 4 feet above High water in Cambridge and Hoopers Island is bad flooded.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I say this with trepidation: I think the worst is over here on the North Fork (Of L.I.). Gusts seem to be abating. We are 150 miles to the NE of the eye. Still have had gusts in the high seventies, I think. It seems it's moving away. Maybe not turning North as expected. Seems like the rain shield is reaching to Pittsburgh or further West. Sorry to say but Buffalo looks like it will get whacked - again. Oh well, they are used to it.
Still very breezy. My grill cover is more like a grill spinnaker.
Some of the worst wind seems to be in Easten Ct. area. Maybe that's more due to Noreaster than Sandy. Not typical or maybe not tropical?

Sep 26, 2008
Hunter 44 Middle River, MD
Bad here in Havre de Grace, MD (northern Chesapeake Bay) . Sandy now projected to go straight over the boat and the house. We need the north wind to blow the water out of the river (until they open the floods gates which they did not do in advance??? Probably do to silt and power generation$$$). Was up earlier to the boat and tightened the lines, tough to do by self. Almost got blown off the finger pier. Now have 14 lines on her and 6 fenders. Stay safe and stay away from these winds. Hopefully good sailing next weekend if we don't have too much debris in the Cheaspeake Bay! Good luck to those north of us!!!
Btw...city streets are closed as well as RT95 and RT 40 where they cross the Susquanna as well as the Bay Bridge to the eastern shore.
Sitting here at home in the dark with my iPad and candles ;-)))
Rodger enjoy the bay on your way south....beautiful this time of year!!!

BobT

Sep 29, 2008
At 2245 hrs the barometer finally started to rise at home. .
It appears what's left of the center passed directly over our marina. Tomorrow we'll try to get there and see if we have a boat or a mess. Good luck to all.

Nov 22, 2008
Endeavour 32 Portland, Maine
I'm up at 0120 to check lines and news. This was supposed to be the worst night but it's been as peaceful as most I spend at anchor. I can hear the wind howling in the treetops but, with the wind blowing directly off the shore, the boat almost as motionless as on a night with light wind. Shore power is still on.

Dawn update:

On a roughness scale of 0 being flat calm and 10 your boat blown up on the shore, last night was about a 2 and this morning is about 1. Very strange to think of how much chaos there is to the north.

There is nothing like a good lee. It would have been a wild night just on the other side of the creek a couple hundred yards away.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Good to hear that, Roger. I hope others in the area are faring as well..

dugout

Nov 15, 2008
Pearson P33 Maryland's Famous Eastern Shore
...another flood tide this afternoon on the Choptank side of the bay. Water water everywhere. :confused:

BobT

Sep 29, 2008
Made it to the yard about 2:30. SweetP is still in her borrowed slip and riding fine. What a relief! However, with two hours to go until the alleged low tide, there is still more water in the basin than we see except in the wackiest spring tides. Most of the pilings seem tall enough to handle another 2 feet plus of water, so it's just one more 'wait and see'...

Status
Not open for further replies.