Storm Party

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 22, 2008
Endeavour 32 Portland, Maine
This storm is going to affect so many people that I've met or gotten to know through this forum that I would appreciate hearing through this thread how people are doing over the next few days.

Like any storm party, it is sobering to think that some who have posted here will lose boats or other property before this is over. I'm in good spot so I feel a bit awkward going on with constant updates about my situation when so many of you are going through the same thing. I can't rule out the possibility of major damage or even the end of my cruising when I look at the conditions coming though.

So, please, if your Internet connection is still working, let us all know how you are doing. Pictures of storm preparations would be nice and we all might learn something from them.

Here is Strider as ready as she can be.

The wind will initially come right down the creek from the point at the left side of the picture but should back around to provide a better lee before the strongest gusts arrive.

Bow and stern lines are fitted with shock absorbers with larger lines slack under them so the first set has to completely chafe through or break before any strain comes on them. Slack is adjusted to the boat won't move too far and build up a lot of inertia if that should happen.

Tails of the lines are carried across to cleats on the other side to keep boat attached if a cleat should pull out. Spring lines are doubled in the same way but without shock absorbers as there shouldn't be any significant surge fore and aft.

I'm tied up here and it's a long way out to the mouth of the creek so I don't expect any strong wave action:

10/20/12 0900: Just a little moan in the rigging, very light chop, and just starting to spit a little rain. Those dock lines suddenly look very thin.

1340: There was a gust to 37 knots at the buoy off Solomons but I haven't felt anything here that would seem out of the ordinary for any other normal rainy fall day. If that ratio holds, and the wind is currently from the worst direction, we should be fine in the storm.

1545: A friend just phoned to say that the Oxford police had robo-called her to say where the evacuation buses were leaving from. I wonder what they know that the surge and wind forecasters don't?

10/29/12

1609: I've been distracted much of the day with the tragic sinking of the tall ship Bounty with the captain and a crew member missing.

It's finally started to seem like more than just a fall storm. I can see rain splum blowing across the exposed part of the creek surface at an impressive rate and people messing around boats on exposed docks. The masts show quite a bit of heel.

The backing of the wind has left me much more comfortable and I hardly feel a thing in the cabin with the fire going and drying things out. My only complaint so far is a few small tree branches blowing onto the deck.

I went out and reconfigured lines for the further backing of the wind to the other side of the boat overnight.

I still don't think it is blowing as hard as it did when I was anchored at the end of the Pongo Canal last spring:

http://forums.sbo.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?t=138634

http://forums.sbo.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?t=138717&#post897242

Sun vs. rain and clouds seem to make about a 20 knot difference in perceived wind speed.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Good Luck guys !! Having dealt with Isaac, Gustav, and Katrina in the past few years, I know it is a tense time..

Jimm

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 33.5 Bodkin Creek - Bodkin YC
All's as ready as can be with Valinor. Slip is very well protected from every direction except SE. Dock lines doubled, most canvass off or tied securely and all on deck gear stowed below.
When the sun comes back out, I hope everyone will be safe and in good shape :)

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 49 123
In Elizabeth City

We are honkered down in Elizabeth City after 4 days of warm weather with stops in Solomoms, Deltaville and Deep Creeck Lock. We are getting some protection from the wind and is a little choppy. Here is the harborcam <-- link. I looks like we will be here until Wednesday. Steady winds from NNE @25 with gust to 38 kts.

Oct 9, 2008
Marine Trader Sedan Mystic, CT
We sat out the passing storm in Isle of Hope, GA and we are planning to continue south tomorrow. All is well here with some wind to 30 kts but no rain.

Scurvy

Oct 2, 2012
Sabre ex: 28 MK 1 , ex: Albin Vega 27' Falmouth, ME
Good luck Roger! May you weather the storm without incident.
Chris

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Ready in Boston

This is what I get for extending my season. I wasn't able to get hauled so she will have to tough it out on the mooring. All canvas is down and I wrapped some leather chafe guard on the pendants...which suddenly look old and in need of replacement. Of course the storm was reported to be a bit further north just after I left the dock. I didn't plan on pulling my dinghy out of the water, but now may need to make a second trip to do so.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Re: Ready in Boston

Got a little help from my cruising buddies, a little dish soap on the docks lines keep them from creaking, so annoying. Wife's making Chili so she can find me in the dark, hmmmmm. The wind is gusty 8-20 kts in the Solomons and we're keeping an eye on the tide.
All U Get

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2001
Hunter 420 Norfolk, VA
Norfolk, Va

Noon ... Sunday 10/28...
Just enjoying the wind and rain at Little Creek, Norfolk ...

(CBBV2 is Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel First Island) ...

Conditions at CBBV2 as of
(12:00 pm EDT)
1600 GMT on 10/28/2012: Unit of Measure: Time Zone: Click on the graph icon in the table below to see a time series plot of the last five days of that observation.
Wind Direction (WDIR): NNE ( 20 deg true )
Wind Speed (WSPD): 32.1 kts
Wind Gust (GST): 35.9 kts
Atmospheric Pressure (PRES): 29.52 in
Pressure Tendency (PTDY): -0.03 in ( Falling )
Air Temperature (ATMP): 61.9 °F
Water Temperature (WTMP): 65.7 °F
Wind Speed at 10 meters (WSPD10M): 31.1 kts
Wind Speed at 20 meters (WSPD20M): 35.0 kts

Nov 22, 2008
The captain of the tall ship Bounty (of movie fame) chose to leave Long Island Sound and was here at last report:

The wind is going the right direction but, when they reach the Gulf Stream where the wind is against the current, it is going to be ugly. I'm wondering if this was a stunt.

May 23, 2007
Catalina Capri 22 Albany, Oregon
What would he do that for if it's not a stunt? I can understand the Navy getting their ships out but Bounty can't outrun the storm. I'd think some place in LI sound would be a good place to hole up as opposed to sailing into the eye of the storm.

We holed up in Oyster Bay one summer when I was a kid for one that didn't materialize. Just about 360* protection as I recall, though maybe not as good as a nice creek to hide in.

Oct 28, 2012
Oday 17 Daysailer III Marblehead
Hauled her out last night in Marblehead, MA. Beautiful night, flat calm, full moon and high tide. Today's been a very different story, with alot more to come. Bon chance, to all the sailors out there.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
We are honkered down in Elizabeth City
We had a pretty good dinner at Grouper's. There was a seafood pasta dish that was generous with the scallops, shrimp etc., which is not always the case. Maybe a bit bland by NY standards but "Let the seafood speak". Or if you haven't been to Monteros try the shrimp and grits. After that we tried the local barbecue. Hush puppies, collards... better than the ubiquitous fast food which also is in abundance there.

Mar 8, 2011
Ranger 33 Norfolk
Just got back from my second trip to the boat today down in Little Creek. Went out this morning around 9:30, talked to people who were/are out there and they told me the tide peaked at just over the top of the pier. . .just got back and with ~2.5 hrs till high tide, the water was about the same level as when i left this morning, ~6" below the top of the pier :doh:

Just an FYI for anyone who hasn't made it out there. . .

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Running where they are, it seems foolish, but if they stay close enough to the coast, don't they avoid the stream? Also, the coast isn't exactly a lee shore if the wind is running parallel (isn't there a counter current south of Cape Hatteras?) Eventually, the eye will pass north and wind will continue to be favorable and by the time they need to swing east, it may even be favorable with the stream (southeasterly wind?).

Gutsy move, even for a stunt, but they may have it just right, no?

The stream gets very close to Cape Hatteras and it's hard to tell from their position if they are inside or in the heart of it as their position currently shows.

BobT

Sep 29, 2008
Gulfstar 37 North East River, Chesapeake Bay
I called the marina Friday morning to get in line for a possible haul out. We knocked off from work early to go strip the sails and move her from the mooring inside to an empty slip if necessary.

It was necessary. The yard looked like a typical Friday afternoon; not a staffer in sight. So SweetP is in a nice big slip vacated by a power boat recently hauled. We are in a basin cut into a north shore. NNE winds are broken by low hills and a tree line back from the yard. As good a spot as possible, considering.
We had to go to Connecticut over the weekend and just got home, so we have no idea if they worked Saturday and pulled more boats or not.

It's going to be hard to wait this one out. Driving down there to check it out will likely be a poor choice for the next 48 hours.

Best of luck to all!

Bob

Oct 3, 2010
oday 31 noank
on the hard

hauled out last week for the season. not gonna miss the haul and re-launch fee last years storm cost me. good luck to all Slainte

Sep 17, 2012
Cape Dory Ketch 30 Portland
Portland, ME

It's starting to get rocky up here at South Port Marine. However for us it's not Sandy (yet) we're feeling the Nor-easter pick up. High tide is just about on us and the wind/sea is being funneled right into our docks. Currently, the wind is picking up from the NE - 15 knots with gusts to 25. The erratic movement should calm down when low tide blocks the swell. We spider webbed some lines to the open finger next to us and doubled up our lines just for worst case scenario. Nick just lubricated our creaking lines (thanks All U Get!) and life just got a little better.

It could get hairy in the next few days with the astronomical high tides and predicted surge from Sandy. We'll keep you updated and put up some pictures when we can.

Glad to hear you're well protected down there, Roger- we're hoping everyone on here stays safe, we'll be checking in.

Nov 22, 2008
This historic and dramatic day begins with no real surprise. From the Facebook page of the tall ship HMS Bounty which inexplicably left Long Island Sound and sailed right into Sandy's weather system:

The crew is safe and accounted for. They have abandoned ship. They are in their sea survival suits and in a life boat. A Coast Guard cutter is racing to pick them up.
The coast guard plane has heat sensing ability and has scanned the Bounty for any people on it...There is no one one on the ship.
Again...ALL the crew is safe and in a lifeboat.

I bounced around a bit during the night but I've had much worse at anchor and even in marinas. The very slight backing of the wind about 0100 made a significant improvement. I'm just waiting for some light to go out and check lines and chafing gear.

The cabin heater is going and I'm, if anything, a bit over snug and dry. I'll be glad for the heater when I come back in with "my oilskins a'streaming" as Gordon Bok sings.

Status
Not open for further replies.