Storage under H23 gas tank

Sep 7, 2011
Hunter H23 Southwind YC, Milford, Kansas
All Hunter 23 owners will know that there is considerable storage space under the cockpit sole. A portion of that space extends across the beam under the gas can locker. This space is almost impossible to use unless you actually crawl into the port side access locker. Has anyone figured out a way to open up that space by installing an access panel under the gas tank?

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I thought some years ago there was access fro cabin to storage area. Poor utilization of space which was utilized in the water ballast for berths.

Sep 7, 2011
I
I thought some years ago there was access fro cabin to storage area. Poor utilization of space which was utilized in the water ballast for berths.
I had a Catalina 22 that had access to that space under the floor of the fuel locker. Probably doable but would be nice to learn from others. Maybe someone will have ideas.

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
I'm surprised you need that space, which is very shallow. The area under the lazarette hatch on the port side is pretty big. But if you need it I suppose you could probably find some appropriate sized opening access cover that could be installed in a cutout.

Sep 7, 2011
I'm surprised you need that space, which is very shallow. The area under the lazarette hatch on the port side is pretty big. But if you need it I suppose you could probably find some appropriate sized opening access cover that could be installed in a cutout.
Thanks, Peter....don't really need the space but I am surprised that Hunter didn't provide for a way to access the space other than crawling down into the port lazarette.