Storage space on an 8.5

jguyer

Sep 16, 2010
S2 8.5 Milwaukee
I'm getting ready to go on a 19 day cruise on my 8.5. Everything is out of the boat, so I am starting from scratch. Does anybody have any advice on where to store things like food, kitchen utensils, clothes, tooles, sails, a kayak, and everything else? I realize this is a very general question, but I would like any and all the advice I can get. I really do like my 8.5, but it doesn't seem to have much convient storage space. Organization is definitely not my strong suit!!!

Feb 22, 2012
S2 8.5 1983 Seattle
Too late to weigh in? I regularly take cruises of 3 or 4 weeks on my 8.5. I see by your photo that your's is an early model, ( I used to own hull no. 002) and while the interiors are very different on later versions (now own hull no. 099) much of the useful storage is the same.
That said, the later boats do have more storage, and even more can be created. A cabinet on the main bulkhead behind the table when folded up can hold all your dishes, bowls, glasses, coffee cups etc, and it will take away no space from anything else. Of the four settee lockers, I have one as a dedicated rope locker: mooring lines, extra Genoa sheets, throwing line, shorpower cord, etc. this leaves three lockers free for clothing, a laundry bag, etc. small Tupperware boxes filled with spares, service kits, filters, etc, can live in the space behind the seat backs. Get creative and you'll discover that the 8.5 can indeed carry what you'll need for reasonably long trips. Order wins the day. Organize, then organize again. It will all fit. Enjoy your sail!